Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 11, 2007, 7:29 PM   #1

Lunch time, I have my *stDS and a home-made switch cable for focus and shutter, a 75-210 Sigma 4-5.6 of the 'A' type (non auto focus) and a tripod.

Non auto focus is important to do focus capture without tricks with aluminium foil and such like.

On my way to the riverbank spot I stopped to buy a packet of potato chips, not those crispy things but hot chunky pieces of potato fried and piping hot in the newspaper wrapper! Known as 'fries' in some places.

I set up the camera on the tripod focused for about 4 metres, set thecamera mode for repeat,set the cable switch for both focus and shutter closed and put a cloth over the camera to shade the view finder. I tested the setup by walking in front of the camera and sure enough at about 4 metres I could hear the shutter doing its thing.

Time to open the packet of chips and spread the paper on the ground. The first seagull arrived in about 3 seconds and very soon there were about 6 of them. But no more, they were too well fed to contest for the chips that I threw and certainly did not try to take them in the air where I had the camera focused.

Better luck next time I guess.:sad:

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:17 AM   #2

hmmm,
an excellent idea. thanks for getting the gray matter going.. looks like i need to install a continuous switch on mine.

Roy
Old Jan 12, 2007, 1:33 PM   #3

i want to say thanks again for this idea. we've got rotten weather coming in for the weekend so i probably will not get to use it, but i've got some good ideas of where i can use it.

roy
Old Jan 12, 2007, 6:50 PM   #4

Thanks Roy, of course what I would really like would be to show you stunning results of my stella brilliance, but not so, not yet anyway!:lol:

No prospect of trying it today either as the house frequently reverberates to the sound of ships fog horns just a short distance from here, fog right up to the end of my nose!

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 7:27 PM   #5

John Hill wrote:
Quote:
reverberates to the sound of ships fog horns just a short distance from here, fog right up to the end of my nose!

john,
i grew up practically on the banks of the mississippi river in new orleans. a block away. when i moved i truely missed the foghorns.. a lonely wail close by and a reply in the far distance..

roy