Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:03 AM   #11

dave_g wrote:
Quote:
pbender wrote:
Quote:
Even on the K10D, I primarilly use my non-A lenses in fully manual mode, since that gives me access to the camera's meter, which I can't get when using the lenses in AV mode.
I need to pull out my newbie card here. I don't understand what you mean by not having access to the camera's meter with the lens on the A setting. I can use all of the modes on the K100 this way, and they seem to function the same way they do for my DA lenses. Would I gain some more options by using the aperture ring?
Actually, I'm talking about a lens that DOES NOT have an A setting, or a Lens with an A setting that is NOT set to the A setting.

If you take your one of your lenses that has an Aperature ring with the A setting, put the camera in Manual mode, and set the lens to use the A setting. You should see the exposure meter show up at the bottom of the viewfinder. If you want t o get a properly exposed image, you need to zero the exposure meeter by setting the three parameters that affect exposure (Aperature,shutter speed, and ISO).

If you take that same lens, and move the apperature ring to a setting other than A, the meter goes away. The only way to get the meter back is to check the DOF, which stops the camera down, and allows the camera to meter through the now stopped down apperature... and again, you adjust the three parameters to try to zero the exposure meter for a proper exposure.

Since most of the lenses I have don't even have an A setting, I can only use these lenses in AV or Manual Modes. Since I am frequently taking pictures of fast moving subjects (trains moving along at up to 80mph), I really need to be able to control the shutter speed in order to get reasonable results. AV mode doesn't always provide sufficient control over the shutter speed (since the camera sets it automatically), so I frequently set the camera into manual mode, and use the meter to get a proper exposure with a sufficiently fast shutter speed.

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:47 AM   #12

OK Thanks
dave_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:53 AM   #13

the only time you can use a manual lens in Av is if you use it wide open. this is a peeve with me. the cam does not stop a manual lens down when you take the shotin Av mode. if it did then you could take say a f1,4 lens and set it to f4 and do a +2 EV value. i'd love to be able to do this.

roy
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:22 AM   #14

robar wrote:
Quote:
the only time you can use a manual lens in Av is if you use it wide open. this is a peeve with me. the cam does not stop a manual lens down when you take the shotin Av mode. if it did then you could take say a f1,4 lens and set it to f4 and do a +2 EV value. i'd love to be able to do this.
Yes, you are correct. Now how did I miss that... I guess I really am using manual mode all the time with my manual lenses....

Paul

pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:32 AM   #15

pbender wrote:
Quote:
Now how did I miss that...

Paul

ck this thread for the reason..
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80
hehe

roy