Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:28 AM   #1

I'm placing my order for a K10D either today or tomorrow, depending on how much help I get today. I've been researching this camera for a month now and have finally come to a decision ---- :-) to order.
I plan on using the camera for the usual shots, portraits, landscape, flowers, etc., but I would like to get involved in BIRDING. I know some of you are pretty big into birding, so whatever suggestions you can give me before I go ahead and order, would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking at a package that comes with the Pentax 18-55 kit lens and a Tamron 70-300mm Di LD Macro zoom lens. Should I consider this package or should I get the kit 18-55 and look for a different lens, or just place my order for the body only. Since I'm purchasing the new camera, I'd like to keep the cost down at this time, but if you folks feel there is a lens out there that would suit my needs for birding at a decent price, I'd go for it. Thanks a bunch. I'm excited and can't wait to get my K10D
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:45 AM   #2

I don't have the Tamron lens, but lots of people have posted really nice results here with it. Since you are interested in birding, it would probably a good choice. It's also affordable and a way to get started. At some time later you might want to upgrade to a better lens, but plan on spending a whole lot more money! I'd say go for the Tamron and kit lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:54 AM   #3

I guess you won't buy it, but there is no law against drooling:lol:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...;rd=1&rd=1

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 3:03 PM   #4

mtngal and billybianca,

Thanks for your replies. I do appreciate your input. Billy, you're right, I'm sure it's a great lens, but drool is all I can do right now
mtngal, as you mentioned, this is an affordable way to get started. I'm sure I'll be asking you many questions when I get my K10D and I really do appreciate your help. I'll try not to be a pest. I'm trying to locate an instructional DVD on the K10D, since it's my first dslr, but I don't think they're out yet.

Jay D
Old Jan 12, 2007, 3:56 PM   #5

Hi Jay,

I have the Sigma 70-300 APO and love it. If you get the Tamron make sure that it is the 70-300 XR DI LD and not the cheaper model. That one does not have the LD glass in it.

As far as an instructional dvd or book, you might want to watch eBay for one. Even the shortcut guide would be of help until you find something better.

Good Luck with the purchase and remember to have fun with it.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 5:58 PM   #6

bluwing,

The one that is coming with the package is the 70-300 Di LD. I'll have to look at my order to see if it's the XR Di LD. Thanks for helping.

Jay D
Old Jan 12, 2007, 6:17 PM   #7

You say you wish to do portraits as well as birding? I can't speak to birding, but there are a number of really good portrait lenses for the pentax. The FA 50mm f1.4 or the FA 50mm f1.7 make wonderful short portrait lenses. There are manual versions as well if you're cool with that.And if you have the cash(as they are expensive) the 77mm f1.8 limiteds are great portrait lenses on the digital cam. I own one and its simply the best glass I own atm. Good luck with the K10, you're going to love it from the moment you open the box! I know I do.

Pic is from the K10 77mm f1.8 limited
Attached Images

Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 6:32 PM   #8

Oh, the above picswas softened and adjusted a bit in PS and PSP as I like softer portraits. But believe me, even wide open that Limited is RAZOR sharp.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:55 PM   #9

Spirtbro77,

Thanks for the info on the portrait lenses. Manual lenses wouldn't bother me at all. After spending for the camera pkg. I think I'll need to search out some used lenses for now. The dealer is shipping the camera from N.Y. on Tuesday, so I should be receiving it by Friday or Sat. here in Florida, I hope. I can hardly wait. As I mentioned, now the learning curve starts but it should be fun for sure.
I can't seem to find an instructional dvd anywhere since it's a new camera on the market.

Thanks again,
Jay D :G
Pentax K10D
Pentax 18-55
Tamron 70-300
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:59 PM   #10

I just got into photography myself. Bought the DL last August and the K10 in December so I fully understand the learning curve. My only advice would be ask plenty of questions here, lots of great people always willing to answer them and shoot a LOT! lol Thats my motto, when in doubt I whip the Pentax out You're going to havce a blast!