Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:34 PM   #1

I initially decided notto use my Sunpak 433D thyristor flash with my K100D, butafter reading some threads I decidedto give it a try. Put it on the camera, set the camera to M mode, F5.6 (per the flash), set shutter speed 160, focused on the nearest handy object, took a couple of pictures, AND IT WORKED GREAT. Exposure was right on, colors were great, and I was happy.

Then I decided to fiddle around with things a little to see if there was anyway to get a low light focus assist out of the flash. OK, that was a little much to expect, but it seemed to be worth a try at the time.

Anyway, I had taken the flash off of the camera while I was fooling around, so I put it back on and tried to take another photo - NOTHING - no flash indicator, no flash, and a very black picture :?. I tried everything I could think of with no luck at all. Put everything (well everything I could remember) back the way it was when the flash worked - still nothing. The test button on the flash worked fine, but the camera would not fire it.:sad:

Then I took the flash off the camera,tested it a few times, TURNED IT OFF, put it back on the camera and turned it on. :-)Everything worked fine again. Turns out that if the flash is charged when you mount it on the camera, the camera won't recognize it, even if you turn it off and back on. Probably something the rest of the world knew, but a surprise to me.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the flash. It's easy to use the aperture setting to adjust exposure, and the pictures come out fine. No way to get a low light focus assist out of it, but other than that I'm very happy.

OK, for any brave soul that's waded through all of this, here's the promised picture. Its ofmy grandson with the DA 50-200 (set at50mm) and flash. I used the 50-200 because I was playing with it at the timeto see how much I lose by using it at 50 mm instead of my 50mm A1.7.

SMC DA 1:4.5-5.650-200mm @50mm F6.3 1/160, *** JPG natural, flash

Large version:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/156/3...0c5be351_b.jpg

dave_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:45 PM   #2

Looks great to me... I see a couple of the Sunpaks on ebay for almost nothing. Isthe flashspecific to Pentax or are they all the same?

Thanks

Fred
Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 1:26 AM   #3

I actually bought the flash for a Nikon Coolpix 990.

Idon't have experience with other flashes, but any thyristor flash should work the same way. The "thyristor" indicates that the flash has a built in meter and can cut off the light when it determines that enough has reached the camera. On the Sunpak, there aresettings on the back of the flash for ISO,distance and power. Once you set them, the flash indicates what f stop to use on the camera.

One BIG caution though, if the trigger voltage on the flash is too high, it can damage the camera. Here is a link to a page with more info

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Note the link for Pentax owners. I've seen different figures for the safe voltage Pentax dSLR's cameras can handle, butI believe 30 volts is safe.Just to besure, I'd go with a flash with a trigger voltage less than 20 volts.

Here's a nice short thread that probably does a better job of explaining all this.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ight=thyristor

There was also a very long thread recently with lots of information about flashes and how to use them.
dave_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:44 AM   #4

that thread is here

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

roy
Old Jan 13, 2007, 4:20 PM   #5

dave_g wrote:
Quote:
I initially decided notto use my Sunpak 433D thyristor flash with my K100D, butafter reading some threads I decidedto give it a try. Put it on the camera, set the camera to M mode, F5.6 (per the flash), set shutter speed 160, focused on the nearest handy object, took a couple of pictures, AND IT WORKED GREAT. Exposure was right on, colors were great, and I was happy.

Then I decided to fiddle around with things a little to see if there was anyway to get a low light focus assist out of the flash. OK, that was a little much to expect, but it seemed to be worth a try at the time.

Anyway, I had taken the flash off of the camera while I was fooling around, so I put it back on and tried to take another photo - NOTHING - no flash indicator, no flash, and a very black picture :?. I tried everything I could think of with no luck at all. Put everything (well everything I could remember) back the way it was when the flash worked - still nothing. The test button on the flash worked fine, but the camera would not fire it.:sad:

Then I took the flash off the camera,tested it a few times, TURNED IT OFF, put it back on the camera and turned it on. :-)Everything worked fine again. Turns out that if the flash is charged when you mount it on the camera, the camera won't recognize it, even if you turn it off and back on. Probably something the rest of the world knew, but a surprise to me.
I had this dead flash problem with my Nissin 360TW after I took it off and put it back on, then I realised the shutter speed had been moved to faster than 1/180s while it was off. With an auto flash the shutter speed doesn't drop back to 1/160 with the K100D in M mode like it does with the pop up flash if it was set faster than 1/160 before popping it up. The flash doesn't fire if the speed is too fast.

My setup works if the flash is already charged when I put it on the cam by the way.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote