Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:34 PM   #1

Review - K10 is for Dummies

I was asked to do this review. This was not my idea. I only made it thru the 9th grade so I don't write or read real good but I am going to try.

My Experience: Bought my first camera in August of 2005 a Panasonic FZ30. Decided to shoot wildlife in January of 2006. Bought my second camera in January of 2007 a K10D. That makes this review a Official Camera Dummy Newbie hands on review. I figured that title would make this review sound official and important.

I heard about this K10 camera so I started reading about it and some of what I read sounded real good to someone who spend most of his time outdoors in the woods here in the Rocky mountains. Weather sealed, the don't shake thing, get rid of the dust thing & that DSLR cameras are much faster and just better. Now trying to read about it and going to the different boards was a big job since everyone was using camera talk language instead of simple plain English.

The Manual: before I saw it I knew I was in trouble there are over 200 pages to read. I figured it would be a month or so before I got far enough along to try and take a picture. I am happy to tell you I was wrong in one afternoon I had the walk around lens attached and took a picture of the ceiling to see if it really was ready to try out. Best thing about the manual is there are a lot of photos and they sometimes even use plain ordinary English.

Settings: Put in on P and set the sharpness up one notch. I figured the rest I would leave up to the camera since I was sure it is a lot smarter than I am. I am 64 years old and I know this K10D can see better than I can and I was sure it would be more steady than my hands are. I also know that most of the time out in the woods you can find a rock, tree limb or a fence post to rest the thing on.

Camera & walk around lens: Tamron 24-135 lens. Very simple to attach and then it is ready to take pictures.

Camera & Wildlife lens: Sigma 50 -500. Push in and turn the thingie and its ready to go. I really wasn't concerned about the weight after I weighed it 6 1/2 pounds, a little less than many rifles I had carried. Hook it up to my bino harness and I should be ready to go.

What do I dislike: Nothing so far. I am a happy camper about my choices.

What do I like:
Fells beefy to me not like a toy

My RDS fits on it and works just fine

When you look thru the view thing what you see is what you get

It is mighty quick

The extra battery grip means I got plenty of power available when I get out into the woods. I also have a place for a 2nd memory card

The anti shake seems to do real good. I haven't tried it with a monopod or tripod yet but I am getting keepers with out them.

Weather seals so far are working. I have taken photos in the rain, snow, freezing fog and as cold as 10 below zero

Bottom Line IMHO:
Who ever designed this thing must of figured Newbie Camera Dummies would be buying them so they put forth a effort to make the K10D available for us Dummies

When I was asked to do this review I laughed. After thinking about it for a while I decided it might be a good idea for someone who knows nothing about cameras but owns one to write up what he or she thinks

All the above is just my opinion ( a camera dummy and a newbie) no more no less

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7, Pentax K10D
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:01 PM   #2

Roger, that has to be the most honest, precise reveiw I have ever read. :-)At least, you are telling what it is you like about the camera and not trying to sell it to anywone. I really like your review.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:20 PM   #3

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
Roger, that has to be the most honest, precise reveiw I have ever read. :-)At least, you are telling what it is you like about the camera and not trying to sell it to anywone. I really like your review
Jerry, do you think them professional camera review guys are shaking in their boots with fear I may take up camera reviews full time????? :-)

I can see it now Wakey Roger's Camera Reviews.

Oh well back to the real world. Thanks for your comment.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:39 PM   #4
Administrator

Roger,

I would like your permission to append your review to the end of my conclusion when we post our K10D review - we haven't even gotten one yet but I'm sure we will soon. I think your review will be a fine "second opinion" addition to our conclusiontext. Let me know if you write any more. We have always tried to keep our reviews "down to earth" as possible and stillanswer some of tech heads questions too.

Enjoy your K10D. Hard to believe that we used less capable pro dSLRs onlyeight years ago and that they sold for 15 grand. Ain't technology grand!
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:46 PM   #5

steve wrote:
Quote:
Roger,

I would like your permission to append your review to the end of my conclusion when we post our K10D review - we haven't even gotten one yet but I'm sure we will soon. I think your review will be a fine "second opinion" addition to our conclusiontext. Let me know if you write any more. We have always tried to keep our reviews "down to earth" as possible and stillanswer some of tech heads questions too.

Enjoy your K10D. Hard to believe that we used less capable pro dSLRs onlyeight years ago and that they sold for 15 grand. Ain't technology grand!
Mr Steve, you sure can use it and do what ever you think is best. Yup!!! you are right about Technology being a good thing. Having these cameras being a lot smarter than some of us lets us have fun with photos like the folks that know what they are doing.

I am not afraid to say what I think so If you want something looked at I would be proud to do it for you.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:24 PM   #6

TWR-

Really nice write up, telling it like it is. I know that a lot of the apparent 'ease' you found getting keepers with your new digi is directly attributable to your learning experience and 'dues-paid' with your other digis including your FZ30.

I know that is the case with my progression from my FZ5 starting in Nov-05 to my FZ30 6-06 and my D50 in 7-06. And now that I have my Bigma, its a whole new world.

Since I'm soon heading to China in a few weeks, I'm looking for a Nikon 35 f/2 lens for those indoors, low light/no flash circumstances. I'll have my FZ 30 for my wife to use and me to steal for those long distance but unintrusive street images. Then, too, I may find I'll have an issue getting the FZ30 from the wife as Genece did on his trip to Alaska last summer...

I'll be interested to see your Bigma images and read your professional, published review in the near future!:G

Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:06 AM   #7

Great Review Roger,

I love reading reviews but mostly they are more concerned about the minute differences in camera's than about the way the camera handles/feels. Any recent dslr has great picture quality, the question is more how you will like it, or how can you use it.

Thanks for the review

Ronny

(ps I really like my k10, but i'm keeping my fz5)

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:47 AM   #8

Telecorder wrote:
Quote:
TWR-

Really nice write up, telling it like it is. I know that a lot of the apparent 'ease' you found getting keepers with your new digi is directly attributable to your learning experience and 'dues-paid' with your other digis including your FZ30.

I know that is the case with my progression from my FZ5 starting in Nov-05 to my FZ30 6-06 and my D50 in 7-06. And now that I have my Bigma, its a whole new world.

Since I'm soon heading to China in a few weeks, I'm looking for a Nikon 35 f/2 lens for those indoors, low light/no flash circumstances. I'll have my FZ 30 for my wife to use and me to steal for those long distance but unintrusive street images. Then, too, I may find I'll have an issue getting the FZ30 from the wife as Genece did on his trip to Alaska last summer...

I'll be interested to see your Bigma images and read your professional, published review in the near future!:G

Morning Telecorder I am glad you liked my review and thank you for saying that.

I do have quite a few keepers and the real reason is because of folks on the forum helping me so much.

Going to China sure sounds like a fun trip. Good luck getting your wife to let you have HER FZ30 back.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:49 AM   #9

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
Great Review Roger,

I love reading reviews but mostly they are more concerned about the minute differences in camera's than about the way the camera handles/feels. Any recent dslr has great picture quality, the question is more how you will like it, or how can you use it.

Thanks for the review

Ronny

(ps I really like my k10, but i'm keeping my fz5)
Good morning to YA!!! Ronny. I am glad you liked my review and thanks for reading it and commenting.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:57 AM   #10

Thanks for the review, Roger. Did they name you after Will Rogers? If pany doesn't offer something new and interesting this year (re sensor technology), I may jumpto dslr, and references to the k10dkeep popping up. Questions:

1) The 6mp k100d body sells for about $400 less than the 10mp k10d. Other than the resolution difference, how is the k10 better?

2) How much were the tamron and sigma lenses? Are they pretty much the best?

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote