Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:47 AM   #11

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I would go with the DS for the money since it supports TTL flash and the K100 does not and TTL flash units are much less expensive. The DS is a great camera and they are fairly reasonable now used.

Tom
I've got a DS and when I, in a not near enough future, can afford to buy a K10D I will keep the DS for this reason. I don't think shake reduction is crucial when using a flash.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:44 PM   #12

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
I currently have an istDL and was thinking about switching to a D or DS, if I can manage it without having to spend much money at all. (Sell the DL high and buy the other low) but I was wondering... what are the biggest differences in these cameras? I like the idea that the D and DS support ext TTL flashes and not just P-TTL, but what other differences are there? Is it worth the time in trying to sell and rebuy or should I just stick with the DL until I can afford the K10D (will be well over a year)
I have the DS-love it-best thing I ever did. Upgraded with a few lenses and a flash.

IMHO I don't think the features of the K10 are worth twice the price. If you shoot raw you should be very happy with the results.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 2:48 PM   #13

I have the K10D (which I love) and the *ist Ds which is my back up now. I just bought a *ist DL off EBay and played around with it for a day or so before shipping it to a friend as a gift. You have a great camera already, I don't see the need to switch to a Ds or D if you ultimately want the K10D.... There are some functions on the Ds that are handy (that's why I kept the older Ds and gave the newer Dl to my friend), but are not a reason to upgrade from what you have. Save for the K10D, you'll love it. The K100D is also a great camera, but the only thing I see different (other than minor things) is the sake reduction which if you need a couple of stops and use telephoto would serve you well. I'm serious... Hold out for that K10D with the white balance control and RAW+JEPEG among other great new features, it will be worth it.
mountainmandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:27 AM   #14

Are there any huge drawbacks from going to the istD from an istDL? I really like the fact that I can use a vertical grip and the 11-point AF system, the only bad thing I see is having to rebuy memory.

Has anyone used one of the SD-to-CF adapters? Do they work? Do you sacrifice any speed?

Will I lose ANYTHING by switching to the D from the DL? (besides LCD size)
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:48 PM   #15

You would have to change your avatar. Maybe one without the colors this time?
cwguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 3:14 PM   #16

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Are there any huge drawbacks from going to the istD from an istDL? I really like the fact that I can use a vertical grip and the 11-point AF system, the only bad thing I see is having to rebuy memory.

Has anyone used one of the SD-to-CF adapters? Do they work? Do you sacrifice any speed?

Will I lose ANYTHING by switching to the D from the DL? (besides LCD size)
I cannot see anything but plusses. The DL may produce slightly better jpegs (insignificant) and there is the issue that it is sometimes difficult to extract the CF cards from the D's card slot.

I would take a D in a heartbeat. (but I would keep the DL)

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:48 PM   #17

cwguy wrote:
Quote:
You would have to change your avatar. Maybe one without the colors this time?
LOL, Thanks... didn't think of that one... I think I will definately stick with the DL... hehe

Ira, Thanks, but both is not an option to me unfortunately. How much difference is thes in JPEGS. I don't usually shoot RAW due to not have CS or CS2, but TIFF is definately an option with the D. Is the difference in the JPEG even noticable?
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:09 AM   #18

Personally not sure why you want to stick with the is's.....

If I was going to go new Pentax (even as I did switching from Canon) I'd go for the K10D.....

Sliding around the "is" realm realyl is just sidestepping for moderate gain not advancing.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:54 AM   #19

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Personally not sure why you want to stick with the is's.....

If I was going to go new Pentax (even as I did switching from Canon) I'd go for the K10D.....

Sliding around the "is" realm realyl is just sidestepping for moderate gain not advancing.
If money weren't an issue, maybe I would step up to the K10D, butthe fact is, that money is an issue.Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:34 AM   #20

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Ira, Thanks, but both is not an option to me unfortunately. How much difference is thes in JPEGS. I don't usually shoot RAW due to not have CS or CS2, but TIFF is definately an option with the D. Is the difference in the JPEG even noticable?
Go look at the sample images on Steve's reviews of the *istD and the *istDL. Compare the similar sampleimages (such as the school, the playground and the resturant that Steve includes in almost every review). If you don't see a significant difference then there isn't one.

BTW don't give up your DL for a high mileage D, the D doesn't offer enough advantages to warrant that risk. If you can get a new D(or one with a known history) then it may be worth while.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote