Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 14, 2007, 8:13 AM   #1

I currently have an istDL and was thinking about switching to a D or DS, if I can manage it without having to spend much money at all. (Sell the DL high and buy the other low) but I was wondering... what are the biggest differences in these cameras? I like the idea that the D and DS support ext TTL flashes and not just P-TTL, but what other differences are there? Is it worth the time in trying to sell and rebuy or should I just stick with the DL until I can afford the K10D (will be well over a year)
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2007, 8:32 AM   #2

This is from DP review
Summary of changes (compared to the *ist DS)
  • Auto ISO[/*]
  • 3-point wide AF (*ist DS was 11 area) [/*]
  • Wide / spot AF[/*]
  • Three level 'soft' digital filter[/*]
  • Continuous shooting buffer reduced to 5 / 3 images (JPEG / RAW)[/*]
  • Penta-mirror viewfinder instead of Penta-prism, 0.85x magnification[/*]
  • Natural-Bright-Matte II focusing screen[/*]
  • Larger 2.5" LCD monitor[/*]
  • Removal of high speed sync flash[/*]
  • Two new languages: Swedish, Dutch[/*]
  • Slightly lighter (565g v 605g)[/*]
  • Available in black and silver[/*]
The big Differences are the AF and the Viewfinder.
I own the DS and love it, But If i were in the market To Change I would be looking More towards the K100D or the K10D. Last week when I looked the K100D Body only From B&H with Pentax rebate was $469.00. I am in the same boat. I had Hoped To get the K10 this year, but that does not look like it will happen.

Of Course, this is JMO

Hope this helps

BK/Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 8:51 AM   #3

It seems like switching models for TTL flash compatibility doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you ultimately want to upgrade to the K10 which doesn't support TTL -- but maybe I'm missing something.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:54 AM   #4

1. D and DS have a pentaprism, this helps manual focus (but just a little) BUT it makes the viewfinder data display much easier to use.

2. the D has a more comprehensive viewfinder data display.

3. the D has two control wheels so it can set aperture and shutter speed without pressing buttons.

4. the D has a supplementary vertical battery grip.

5. the DS has a faster frame rate.

6. the D uses CF cards which may be a negative if you already have a supply of SD cards.

7. the D has more buttons and requires less menu surfing.

Other advantages have already been listed.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:33 PM   #5

Does the DS and/or D have the multiple lightup focal points in the viewfinder? Ira, you own both a DL and DS, which do you prefer and why?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:21 PM   #6

Hi,

I have the istD. You have To read STEVES review for the istD to helpyou decide what is important to you.

I switched from a Canon system to Pentax and have never been happier. The K10D is an upgrade from the istD. The added features would be Antishake,Weather Sealing, Antidust, 10meg Sensor, Bigger Buffer, bigger body and Costs More than the istD.

The K10D is a new model and has yet to have any firmware updates and is still to new for me to think about. The 10 meg Sensor is more than I need for my pictures and prints.

If you are thinking of selling the DL on eBay check the going prices for it. If you are really thinking about a K10D I would wait and save your money till late spring or summer To get one. By then you might want to keep your DL as a second/backup camera. Also any and all reported problems should be taken care of.

In the mean time learn all you can about taking pictures and the camera you have. Remember you are only limited by your imagination.

Rudy

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:17 PM   #7

Personally I think it is not worth it to switch from the DL to the D or the DS unless that the D or DS has something that you really need and you don't have on your DL. Instead of going from the DL to the D/DS, I would look into going to the K100D instead. The SR would be the biggest noticable difference between them all.

I went from the DS to the K100D and love it. I missed the bigger viewfinder on my DS but was able to give it up for the SR.

Of course the K10D would be a better camera as far as feature. If you like to take a lot of pictures or someone brings the camera around with them all the time, I think it would be good to switch over to the K100D. But if you just shoot every once a while like once a months or so, I would wait until you can afford the K10D if that is what you really want.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:41 PM   #8

It is really hard to make these kinds of decisions. Each new camera looks so good! I think the question you need to ask yourself is what pictures would I be able to get with a new camera that I can't get now. The extra features don't mean much unless they make your pictures better. It might even bemore advantageousto invest in better lenses as opposed to a new body. Good luck in your decision!
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 7:36 PM   #9

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Does the DS and/or D have the multiple lightup focal points in the viewfinder? Ira, you own both a DL and DS, which do you prefer and why?
Yes they do, all 11 points.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 8:17 PM   #10

I would go with the DS for the money since it supports TTL flash and the K100 does not and TTL flash units are much less expensive. The DS is a great camera and they are fairly reasonable now used.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote