Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:43 PM   #1

Most of you might not enjoy these, or consider graffiti art. Oh well, I love it. Just thought I would share, and get some feed back.

Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2007, 4:17 PM   #2

The pictures are well executed, but personally I feel this type of graffitti is just vandalism. It really does detract from the subject. The type of graffitti I like is the mural type.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 4:25 PM   #3

Work has had me spending a fair amount of time in your city for the past month, and that is one of the things that really seperates Minneapolis from Chicago....graffiti. Minneapolis doesn't have much graffiti, and what it does have generally gets cleaned up quickly. Chicago however seems to have graffiti everywhere. You see it from your plane, you see it from the train. Michigan Ave. or run down industrial parks. It really seems to be everywhere.

I was staying just off Michigan Ave, got up early and went for a walk. I noticed a bunch of store windows that had been tagged over night. I was surprised to see that 6-8 hours later, no one had cleaned them off yet. These stores are paying a pretty good chunk of money for rent on that street, and yet no one could grab a bucket of water and scrub brush to clean the winodws off. Just struck me as odd.

I'm not trying to be negitive towards graffiti, just something I noticed. I certainly couldn't complain too much. When I left Chicago, it was 50 degrees and light rain. When I landed in MPLS, it was 4 degrees. Why do I live here again?
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 4:40 PM   #4

Nice shots.

I can take or leave the graffiti, but the railcars are beautiful .

Are you a railfan and/or model railroader, or were you just taking pictures of the cars with graffiti?

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 4:44 PM   #5

pbender wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots.

I can take or leave the graffiti, but the railcars are beautiful .

Are you a railfan and/or model railroader, or were you just taking pictures of the cars with graffiti?

Paul
I used to work with a guy that made videos for railfans. If you've seen any of the Plets Express videos, I probably mastered them.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 4:54 PM   #6

Basement Shows wrote:
Quote:
I used to work with a guy that made videos for railfans. If you've seen any of the Plets Express videos, I probably mastered them.
I have seen some of those... I may even own one...

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 4:56 PM   #7

Dal1970 - Yes it is vandalism, I don't do it myself. But I do have a love for it, it's always been a big part of the music culuture I'm involved in. Alot of graf heads also do paintings that they display and sale. But some still go back to the streets where they started at. There's a time and place for everything, and if done right, I love it. But 2 second throw ups or tags don't really catch my eye.

Basement Shows - Have you ever gone to NYC? It's also like that all over out there. If I was a artist, I wouldn't do stuff like that on Michigan ave. One reason, people in that area would'nt appreciate anyway. I enjoy all kinds of art, but liek I said. Time and place for everything, and michigan ave is not one of them.

pbender - I guess I could be consider a railfan. At the time I was just getting the graffiti shots. I have a thing for trains and jets. Once again this goes back to being a kid.

Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:32 PM   #8

Flaco,

I would just like to say that these latest pictures are much improved over the first couple posts. IE your Honda and the whole turbo debate.

That said. It looks like your getting a much better understanding of the new camera.

Nice job!

Fred
Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:22 PM   #9

Flaco wrote:
Quote:
Most of you might not enjoy these, or consider graffiti art. Oh well, I love it. Just thought I would share, and get some feed back.
I've been meaning to post some graffiti recently.
There's quite a bit of it in Melbourne, but as long as its not just some 12yr old spraying a stupid tag with some paint he stole, I love it too.

I also agree about it being another form of art. Alot of the guys that do it here are actually graphic designers by day and very talented ones at that.

Anyway, I'll try and get some pics together for a post.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:32 AM   #10

FRED2726 - Yeah, I'm trying to get out as much as I can and play/learn the camera as much as I can. I'm glad you're seeing improvement.

Nadnerd - I seen the pics you posted up, very amazing work on both your part and the graffiti.