Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 14, 2007, 2:04 PM   #1

One of the selling points of the K10D is the 10Mp sensor, to enable cropping.

However, in order to convince myself that I don't need it yet, I cropped this squirrel shot and printed both at A4.

Perfect results. IMHO.

Will leave the K10D for now. Maybe the K100D in the summer as I do want shake reduction.

Opinions anyone?

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:10 PM   #2

Darren,

Yep, good job. Really works for me. But I think many of you here can work wonders with a 2 mp p&s.

You have permission to have any camera you want, just because......... :-)

Regards, Bev
Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:18 PM   #3

Amazing details on that squirrel.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:50 AM   #4

Thanks Royce.

Thing is, this was shot in jpg mode, not RAW. Annoying when you can prove yourself wrong!!.

Darren
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:36 PM   #5
TDN

Looks like this little fella was kind enough to pose for you :lol:

Amazing shot, I especially like the crop. Good job!
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:52 PM   #6

Thank you TDN

Darren

Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:05 PM   #7

Love the squirrel! As I've said before, for most people the extra mp won't mean that much. The K10's attraction to me was (more or less) in spite of the 10 mp - it's all about ergonomics and extra control. But the K100 is still an awesome camera and well worth the little it costs at the moment. Go for the K100!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:09 AM   #8

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Thing is, this was shot in jpg mode, not RAW. Annoying when you can prove yourself wrong!!.

Darren,

This is such nice image with the rich coloring, and the lighting was great. Do you do much different with the in camera settings when you shoot in raw re: High saturation, hard sharpness and soft contrast? And also which lens were you using?

This discussion has really swayed my thinking to investing in lens for now and waiting on bigger and better bodies... Thanks
Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 4:22 PM   #9

Maw Harley wrote:
Quote:
Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:

Darren,

This is such nice image with the rich coloring, and the lighting was great. Do you do much different with the in camera settings when you shoot in raw re: High saturation, hard sharpness and soft contrast? And also which lens were you using?

This discussion has really swayed my thinking to investing in lens for now and waiting on bigger and better bodies... Thanks
Thanks for the comments.

When I shoot in RAW I leave all the setings on zero. That way I can do all the PP in CS2.

I think I was lucky with the weather though, as it was a bright sunny day (still cold), but made a nice change from the constant overcast/rain we have been getting.

As for the lens, it was the 50-200mm kit lens, which I tend to use as a walkabout at the moment.

I think that in the simmer I may well go for the K100D for the shake reduction, as I sometimes find that the 75-300 can get a bit slow. Although if the K10D is at a fair price, I mayu be tempted!

Darren
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:56 PM   #10

We have a K100D and K10D.Don't see much difference betweenthe picture qualitybut the K10D focusses and shoots faster and to me feels better. Wife has the K100D and I don'tlike using it any more. I used tolove it.Just a feel thing.

I think it's one of those things thatyoudon't missif you don't havebut once you try you don't want to go back.
bobinoz is offline   Reply With Quote