Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 14, 2007, 6:39 PM   #1

Hi all!

I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem which is just too much for me :} I use PS CS2 and Epson R200 photo printer (6 ink cartridges,) with my sturdy K100D unit. However the colors I get are far from those that I see on my CRT monitor...I'd like to know what steps should be porformed to get those "perfect" prints? Maybe I should shoot in aRGB? I'm just lost in numerous options and parameters. By the way I set the printer to "photo", "premium glossy paper" and use the same paper for prints.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Verloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2007, 6:49 PM   #2

Using Adobe RGB may help. Make sure your monitor is using a properly calibrated ICC profile. You can also try looking for better calibration profiles for your printer as well.
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:19 PM   #3

You also need to download the proper paper profiles from Epson to get the colors right and use Epson paper with Epson printers.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:52 PM   #4

you've just opened the biggest can of worms that exists. no one is going to walk you thru this as it's way too involved. do a google search for '' monitor calibration''... enjoy your read.. hehe
i had my profiles very close 2 months ago but have reformatted my machine twice since then and just haven't wanted to spend the time required to get it right again..

hope you like reading,
roy
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:15 PM   #5

Verloc wrote:
Quote:
Hi all!

I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem which is just too much for me :} I use PS CS2 and Epson R200 photo printer (6 ink cartridges,) with my sturdy K100D unit. However the colors I get are far from those that I see on my CRT monitor...I'd like to know what steps should be porformed to get those "perfect" prints? Maybe I should shoot in aRGB? I'm just lost in numerous options and parameters. By the way I set the printer to "photo", "premium glossy paper" and use the same paper for prints.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Verloc. Similar setup here.

DL2, PS CS2, Epson R220.

After installing CS2 I went into control panel (set to original view) and run Adobe Gamma. Folllow the wizard to setup the screen and save the profile. I use srgb as a starting point.

After that, when I am ready to print I use File->print with preview.

Dropdown box under the picture set to Colour Management. Document should say (Profile sRGB). Colour Handling -> Let printer determine colours. Rendering Intent -> Relative colourmetric.

Go to print and set the printer how you have it Epsom glossy, photoenhance etc.

The only other thing to check is that the display settings for windows are set to your new profile (should be if you used adobe gamma).

I think that about covers the basics. It seems a lot more confusing than it is. Once you have done it a few times it is fairly straight forward.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:15 PM   #6

Verloc wrote:
Quote:
Hi all!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Verloc. Similar setup here.

DL2, PS CS2, Epson R220.

After installing CS2 I went into control panel (set to original view) and run Adobe Gamma. Folllow the wizard to setup the screen and save the profile. I use srgb as a starting point.

After that, when I am ready to print I use File->print with preview.

Dropdown box under the picture set to Colour Management. Document should say (Profile sRGB). Colour Handling -> Let printer determine colours. Rendering Intent -> Relative colourmetric.

Go to print and set the printer how you have it Epsom glossy, photoenhance etc.

The only other thing to check is that the display settings for windows are set to your new profile (should be if you used adobe gamma).

I think that about covers the basics. It seems a lot more confusing than it is. Once you have done it a few times it is fairly straight forward.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 5:43 PM   #7

hi, definitely calibrate your monitor. makes a big difference. i'll place another vote for adobe gamma; it's free and pretty easy. there are a variety of monitor callibration programs available for a variety of prices. the cheaper ones require more work and some subjective analysis on your part, the more expensive ones are easier and more automated. adobe gamma is at least a good start. i recalibrate occasionally (probably 2-3 times a year) when i notice i'm not getting a good match between screen and print. monitors do drift over time. even with a calibrated monitor it may be useful to think of your first print or two as tests and use them to tweak the settings til you get what you have in mind.

all the best, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote