Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:42 AM   #11

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
There's tons of on-line tutorials! Try starting here:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...hotoshop.shtml
(it would hurt to read everyting on their site either).

And here:
http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html
Thanks for those links! I'll be sure to read through them when I can.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:00 AM   #12

Personally, I don't use photoshop. Years ago I was scared off by it's complexities. It's a HUGE program, and it wasn't designed for the digital photographer (but what was...it's an old program and digicams are new technology) or the video editor (my profession at the time). It can be hard to find things, and frustrating to take 15 steps to do what what one button might have done in your old editing software. That said, 15 steps mean a lot more control over what happens to your image, and when you come up with a set comon tasks, you can create marcros to automate the process. It's one program that works incredibly well for all graphics applications, and it is the gold standard. When you ask someone "How do I...." they'll tell you how it's done in Photoshop.

I really regret not taking the time to learn Photoshop all those years ago (especially since my editor of choice has now been purchased by Corel...last resting place for decent software destined to to be fogotten). If you have it provided to you free of charge, invest time time and effort to learn it. It will be well worth your time nad you won't be sorry....at least until your wife changes jobs and you're forced to buy the upgrades yourself.:-)
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:21 AM   #13

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Every thing does make sense once you learn to use the program, and image sizing on my copy of CS2 is under image, not edit.

There are less expensive programs out there (not true in your case since it is free) but the others are nowhere as powerful as Photoshop CS2.

Tom
i think CBs means the transform options.

roy
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:27 AM   #14

Basement Shows wrote:
Quote:
I really regret not taking the time to learn Photoshop all those years ago (especially since my editor of choice has now been purchased by Corel...last resting place for decent software destined to to be fogotten). If you have it provided to you free of charge, invest time time and effort to learn it. It will be well worth your time nad you won't be sorry....at least until your wife changes jobs and you're forced to buy the upgrades yourself.:-)
that's no BS, BS lol

PSP is a great program. the learning curve with it is as steep as in PS. hopefully corel will not ruin it.
whatever you decide i've got this advice. pick one and stick to IT. i see so many people that learn tidbits about a lot of programs but don't know enough about any of them to really do anything with them.

if the company is putting it on your home machine then i'd suppose they expect your wife to learn and use it..

roy

Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:51 AM   #15

robar wrote:
Quote:
if the company is putting it on your home machine then i'd suppose they expect your wife to learn and use it..

roy
She actually needs a few of the other components of the Suite more than Photoshop. It just happens to be included. She's using it mostly for marketing and design as well as Newsletter publishing. She'll be able to learn at her own pace because she's the boss. Well, she does answer to a Board of Directors, but they don't really get involved in the day-to-day decisions. Knowing my wife, she'll have it figured out in no time.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:07 PM   #16

The full version Photoshop is huge and intimidating BUT... As Tom stated it is the professional tool. There are only two or three serious competitors out there (such as Paint Shop Pro) and they have a very small share of the professional market (but the lower price makes them a favourite with amateurs). The big advantage of PS is that there is so much learning material available. Other programs may be easier to learn but much harder to find tutorials or tips for.

Take your time, find out how to use the basic tools and add other techniques as you learn them.

It is fun

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:16 PM   #17

I've been using PS for about 15 years (PS v3 I think). Don't use on a daily basis, and like Robar, only know a small percent of it's potential.

Best resource I have used is Adobe's online tutorials.
macshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:33 PM   #18

If you're technologically adept, check out some of the many podcasts related to Photoshop. I find some great tips from Photoshop TV, which is produced by the fine fine people that make Photoshop User magazine. I personally also watch Photoshop Killer Tips, Photoshop Quicktips, and Understanding Adobe Photoshop, all of which give individual tips and explain them in an easy-to-understand manner (especially true with Understanding Adobe Photoshop).

Here are the links for the podcasts (available through Apple's iTunes):
Photoshop TV: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...st?id=83927625
Understanding Adobe Photoshop: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=188276737
Photoshop Killer Tips: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...st?id=79932353

While these podcasts don't have the depth and breadth that a book will have, it's a quick and entertaining way to gain a little more out of Photoshop. Get a book, try some online tutorials, take a course, and watch the podcasts. Most of all, play around in Photoshop.
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:40 PM   #19
TDN

Been messing with PS for about 3 or 4 years now (since version 7) and I still learn new things every time...no limits to the possibilities, definitly worth getting into.

Only real way to learn is trial and error. google helps too
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:45 PM   #20

Hi Gadgetnut

I am Very much like Roy. I have PSCS2 and i know about %1. Most of my knowledge About CS2 is from using PSE( Photo Shop Elements) for the last 5 Versions. PSE is actually a Baby version Of PS. Therein is my problem. I am So used To PSE that i get easily frustrated using CS2 . So I find myself Always gravitating back to PSE .
I have looked into Classes at our local CC and they run $350. I would love to do it but!!
IMHO- play with it and if you can find the money and time take a Course. If you decide its not for you, You can always get Either PSP Or PSE. Again IMO The learning curve is not Quite as steep on these

Bk

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote