Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 15, 2007, 2:53 PM   #21

Yeah, I guess I should consider the class if I plan to stick with it. I don't know....I have a friend who got a photo editor from Staples (by Microsoft I think) for under $40 with a rebate and he can do some pretty amazing stuff with it. I'm going to play around with Photoshop CS2 for a while, but if it's way too complicated I might just get something else. I know Photoshop is the best, but if I can't use it properly it'll be useless to me.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:18 PM   #22

I've been using Photoshop since it was PS3 (someone gave me a bootleg copy of it). I borrowed the tutorial that came with it (at that time it was a book) and learned the basics. I still do things much the same way as I did then, have learned or played around with some of the newer controls and (like others) only use part of what it can do. But since it does what I want easily and I know what I know quite well, I stay with it. I once tried another program and got so frustrated trying to figure out how to do something that is simple in Photoshop, so I gave up all others.

Adobe publishes the "Classroom in a Book" series on their programs - I've got the one on Photoshop but haven't taken the time to work all the way through it. It's actually fun to learn and I enjoy playing with it, but just haven't taken the time recently. It would definitely be cheaper than taking a college course (want to take a Photography class before taking a class on CS2). Don't worry about trying to figure it all out, and don't hesitate to ask questions.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:52 PM   #23

Hi,

I've never owned the full boat Photoshop but have used PSP(since 4)and Elements for 6 plus years. While there are tons of things to learn, the basics aren't all that involved. I would suggest as a novice to do a search for basic photoshop tutorials. There are TONS of tutorials online that will help greatly. Ask questions here, if it's something I know about I'd be happy to help out. And finally just play with the thing. Explore. Load a pic and play with the effects, the adjustment layers, etc. Good luck and if you have any questions by all means ask Also remember there are tons of free filters and plugins for Photoshop.

Basic things for adjusting Photos: Levels adjustment, Curves adjustment, saturation,noise levels,sharpening. Once you know those you can get fancy and use whatever filters or adjustments you wish. Remember to open your original and save out as a seperate file so you don't kill the original, then save often and have fun. Thank god for multiple undo's lol
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 12:18 AM   #24

The most difficult thing about a professional program like Photoshop is that it's designed with the assumption that the user understands what he's doing. If you do understand it, it's quite intuitive and powerful. If you don't, it's an epic struggle for sanity.

There are typically at least 5 different ways to do the same thing in Photoshop, so it's difficult to tell you where to start. I'll try to give a bit of advice to start you off.

First off, while you're playing around, make sure everything you save is a PSD file, and definitely don't save over any original JPGs. PSD is the native Photoshop format and the only format that can save everything you might be working on (except maybe a layered TIF).

Learn the layers pallette. Any project that requires more than the simplest touch ups will necessitate the use of layers. When you work it's best to keep everything on separate layers so that you can easily tweak or undo anything you do. Therefore, I also suggest you learn adjustment layers. With adjustment layers, you can apply curves adjustments, hue/saturation adjustments, filters and all sorts of effects on separate layers so that they can be tweaked, stacked, or removed at any time.

I could probably give you a few hundred more tips, but the best thing is probably to learn on your own at your own pace. As mentioned, there are lots of tutorials out there, though I'd personally prefer a book designed to get you started from the ground up. Also, definitely ask questions when you need to, there's plenty of people here willing to lend a hand.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 5:03 AM   #25

Look up Scott Kelby. Most published author of Photoshop books and his books are straight forward with a bit of humor.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 7:56 AM   #26

Thanks for all the great tips guys! I have decided to wait until we actually have the program loaded on the computer and I have a chance to play with it for a while. I might decide to buy a book or two if I think it will help. As for the class, I agree with mtngal...if I'm going to invest the time and money in a class, I'd rather take a photography course. I really do want to try and learn Photoshop as it seems to be the "gold standard" of photo editors. But if it seems to be way more than I need or want to bother with, I'll get something else.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 8:53 AM   #27

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, I guess I should consider the class if I plan to stick with it. I don't know....I have a friend who got a photo editor from Staples (by Microsoft I think) for under $40 with a rebate and he can do some pretty amazing stuff with it. I'm going to play around with Photoshop CS2 for a while, but if it's way too complicated I might just get something else. I know Photoshop is the best, but if I can't use it properly it'll be useless to me.
i had M$ DI loaded for awhile. it was fun to play with. stuff like selecting an area and have the program delete it and fill in from around the area automatically. ie: clone brush in PS. i found the program very limited, Very limited. one good way to learn PS is to take some of these programs that do only one or two things very well and try to duplicate it in PS. as others stated-- google is your friend. want to sharpen with the 'hipass' filter? google it.
as corpsy said, you won't be using but just a tad of the power.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 1:21 PM   #28

Hi,

There are also a couple of magazines out there dedicated to Photoshop. Me I have Pait Shop Pro since version 7.0 and do not see me getting Anything Adobe in the near or distant future.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 4:09 PM   #29

Gadgetnut -

I'd like to recommend the book The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby. A recent trip down to my local bookstore and I found myself in the computer softwaresection and decided to thumb through a few books on Photoshop CS2. I found this onethe easiest to understandwith step-by-step instructions that are easy to follow alongwith to post process my digital photographs. It's amazing some of the stuff that you can do with Photoshop. I've had a lot of funusing all the techniques Ihavelearned from this book. Photoshop is a great program, you just have to learn how to use it. This book for meleveled the learning curve.

Here is a link to it on Amazon, although a trip to the bookstore or your local library might be better first.

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Digi...F8&s=books
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 7:48 AM   #30

ishino-

I will look for that book. I followed the link to amazon.com and read about it. Itseems like a very useful book for anyone with that program. Thanks!