Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:27 AM   #31

I've got it and do recommend it. You might need a basic introduction to go with it though, Kelby gives you hints and advice on how to use the programme in a new or more efficient way, and assumes that you are already somewhat familiar with it. Ie he gives you recommendations on when it's smart to use layers, but he doesn't explain what a layer is.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:40 AM   #32

As the others have stated, read, read, and read some more on it. There's lots of online help, published books etc. And ask questions on the forum here. There's lots of people here who know a lot about the program (I'm not one of them). Another little tip when starting, is to work on a copy of the photo you're editing, leaving the original alone if you're uncomfortable or nervous about ruining a picture. I usually work on copies, and leave the original alone. If shooting RAW, then it's no problem. You can always go back to scratch.....Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 3:35 PM   #33
PDL

I had the opportunity to attend a National Geographic Photographic Expedition in Oct. 2005. The workshop is held on the Campus of SantaFe Workshops in Santa Fe NM. The director of the Digital lab has the following "tips" on their site.

http://www.santafeworkshops.com/digital/jerrytips.cfm

Jerry is a very cool guy and the folks at Santa Fe Workshops are also very good - check out the site. (They tend to be Mac people, so if you use Windows - just deal with it).

I do not use PS of any flavor presently, but I am using Lightroom to do some stuff. Buy a book, take a class or follow Jerry's tips - it will get better.

By the way, Microsoft has removed RAW support for the next release of their Digital Image product. I do not have a copy of Vista - but I bet it does not support Pentax RAW - if it does it will only be C*non or N*kon.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 6:39 PM   #34

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Look up Scott Kelby. Most published author of Photoshop books and his books are straight forward with a bit of humor.
My wife got me his book on digital photography for christmas (since I bought myself the K100D for Christmas)! Very easy read.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 7:42 PM   #35

OMG...that is a LOT. At one of our local colleges, here, they offer a number of 6-week courses (photography & Photoshop instruction) for somewhere in the vicinity of $79. These are (if memory serves me correct) 1-1/2 to 2 hour classes, given one day a week - for six weeks. The $350 at your local CC could, quite possibly, be translative of more hours/days of instruction - but it does seem kind'a much.

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
I have looked into Classes at our local CC and they run $350. I would love to do it but!!
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:28 PM   #36

i have looked and looked at college based tutorials and came to the decision that your best bet is to look for a camera club in your area. i know of at least 4 in my vicinity. all of these people have started some where and are always trying the and teaching the new comers.. what part of Penn are you in??

roy
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:39 PM   #37

ck this out. theey are free and probably better than anything structured.

WOW

roy
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:18 PM   #38
PDL

About structure ---

Back when I had hair and was shooting film - the best way to learn was to hit the road with by camera buddies - pre Pentax (Fuj*ca) days for me - Ol*mpus and Ca*non for my buddies - and shoot 4 - 5 rolls of film apiece. Read everything I could get my hands referring to technique and darkroom methods (Time Life series on Photography was a big help - also taught me Photo history). We would not argue over equipment - because it is about the image and the person who took it.

Now, I visit many forums, I am the chair of the Photo Club at work, still read as much as I can - and I take lots of images. On my vacation, my son and I took around 2100-2500 images (copied a few SD cards twice just to be sure. All RAW and some JPEG's from the old 2001 vintage P&S (it broke during the last week). 21GB of stuff, now to post process it - Just getting started and half the "fun" of this addiction.

As for structure, (back on subject) during my National Geographic Expedition we only concentrated on taking good images. We talked about Photo equipment - (film, digital and post processing) for about1 1/2hours - total. The schedule (Monday - Friday) was up at 6:00AM - (take images in the morning before the bus shows up) 8:00 AM off to the Workshop - talked images the whole way - reviewed the previous days images (minimum of 3 rolls of slide film == 72 images) picked the best 5. Had lunch - the group picked 1 fromthe 5 for inclusion in the "final show" (Friday evening).Then off in the bus to that days spot to take more images. Turn in the film at 5:00PM and go have a group dinner somewhere. (23 people - 5 digital (One other person and I were both film and digital -- not a good logistical idea to do) - No post processing on digital since the film people were shooting E6 (Slide) film).

That"structure" immersed me in the image business - best thing that ever happened to me other than gettingmarried and watching my son grow up.The best way to learn is to justgo out there and do it.Finda group of people you respect who will judge the content of your "art"and give you constructive feedback (some of it can be blunt - because we all produce cra* once in a while). Be honest and show off as much as you can get away with. Get a projector - look at your stuff at wall size in front of people who will tell you if it could be improved - show only 20 images at a time. Force yourself to edit and find your best work.

Listen for the reaction the first time they see a new image. You will learn more from the first few seconds of viewing than anything a book can relay. You really can't experience this gut level learning -- without "structure".

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:01 PM   #39

sounds like a photo club in any large city.

roy
Old Jan 18, 2007, 7:41 AM   #40

I haven't read all the responses people have given you. But, I wanted to mention I take courses for PSE at Eclectic Academy. Here is the curriculum page - http://eclecticacademy.com/curriculum.htm They do offer a course in CS. Although, it is not my instructor- Sara Froehlich. She is wonderful. Everything is in detail and she is great. Can't vouch for the instructor for the CS class.

The classes are 6 weeks long, online and are $20. You work at your own pace, have a message board with other classmates to discuss and share things with. The instructor is available for questions.

Just a thought.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote