Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:55 AM   #1

I know there is a more specific forum for this topic but I feel like know some of you now so I thought I'd ask it here. As I've mentioned before, the only photo editor Iown (or have ever used) is an older version of Arcsoft Photo Studio 2000. It's pretty basic stuff, but I've made due. As luck would have it, my wife's job has created a need for her to have a new software package installed on our home computer which they are paying for (she works from home about 40% of the time). This new package is Adobe Creative Suite 2 Basic. One of the components of this package is a full version of Photoshop CS2. Since this program will be on my home computer, I will be able to use it for my own entertainment! :G Now here's my problem...I have NO IDEA how to use it. I've never used any version of photoshop. It seems to me like it is quite involved. I've even seen classes listed for a local community college justfor learning the basics of Photoshop. How hard is it to learn? Will I be able to figure it outsimply by playing with it, or are there books and classes I should look in to?
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:10 AM   #2

i've been using it for 5years and may know 5% of it. it's an intimidating program. learning curve is off the charts.. i didn't but i would suggest taking the course. interaction with others would be a great way to learn the basics. there are literally thousands of tutorials online but most of them require just a little understanding. if i had to do it over again i'd take the course..

roy
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:30 AM   #3

robar wrote:
Quote:
i've been using it for 5years and may know 5% of it. it's an intimidating program. learning curve is off the charts.. i didn't but i would suggest taking the course. interaction with others would be a great way to learn the basics. there are literally thousands of tutorials online but most of them require just a little understanding. if i had to do it over again I'd take the course..

roy
Thanks Roy. Wow. That's what I was afraid of.I guess I could sign up for the class, butit would actually be cheaper for me to simply buy a less-complicated editing program. The class (if I remember correctly) was close to $160. Ithink I'llwait 'till it's on the computer later this week and play with it for a bit. If it's too far over my head, I might pick up somethingelse.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:51 AM   #4

don't let it scare you off. it's the benchmark. people here will answer just about anything you could ask. i usually learn something new every time i open it up.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:52 AM   #5

I use CS2 everyday and I would suggest you first try playing with the program just to get the basics such as loading photos and saving them in different formats and sizes (image/image size). Then I would suggest you play with the image adjustment tools (images/adjustments) as well as the filters (filter) on some of your photographs just to see what each item does to your photo.

Then I would take the tutorial's that come with the program (from the page that pops up each time you start CS2 when it is first installed and in the help) and you should be good to go for normal use of the program.

Play with it first and the tutorials will make more sense to you when you play them. They are a good starting point and they are free.

Then get a book on CS2 for reference when you are using the program

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:07 AM   #6

Adobe seem to have their own way of doing things that is completely different from more established formats - one of the annoying things is that there are no basic toolbars for such things as, Open, Save, Save As etc. Extensis Phototools v3 came to the rescue but the utility is no longer compatible with current versions.

Adobe also tuck things away in what would appear strange places - like under 'Edit' when you're resizing an image.

Despite this, once you get to grips with it, and it is worth sticking at, it gets easier to use.

As previously mentioned, there's always something new to learn & this forum provides some useful tips.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:11 AM   #7

Thanks Tom. That's good advice. I'd feel funny buying a different photo editor when I have Photoshop CS2 already on the machine :?. I'm sure I'll have fun playing with it. I just don't want to invest tons of timeonly to learn the basics. I'll give it a week or two before I decide.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:12 AM   #8

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Despite this, once you get to grips with it, and it is worth sticking at, it gets easier to use.

As previously mentioned, there's always something new to learn & this forum provides some useful tips.
That's what I'm counting on! :lol:
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:28 AM   #9

Photoshop is the only tool professionals use other than a program like Lightroom or Aperture for organizing images when working on photographs. You can learn as much or as little as you need to for you photo editing needs, but it is a great powerful program that will make your photo editing much more positive than any other program out there.

Every thing does make sense once you learn to use the program, and image sizing on my copy of CS2 is under image, not edit.

There are less expensive programs out there (not true in your case since it is free) but the others are nowhere as powerful as Photoshop CS2.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:30 AM   #10

There's tons of on-line tutorials! Try starting here:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...hotoshop.shtml
(it would hurt to read everyting on their site either).

And here:
http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html