Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:27 PM   #1

Hey to you folks in Australia and other parts of the Southern Hemisphere, Watch the twilight skies for the brightest comet to hit the skies since 1965. I spent four days last week watching this thing get brighter, over the weekend it became bright enough to spot in broad daylight, but I was stuck under an ice storm. For more details look at this web site http://www.spaceweather.com. Also here are a few shots I took on Thursday from Southeast Kansas when it was visible in the twimight skies here. This was with a 70-300 at about 250 mm, with my istDL set at ISO 400. It's cropped a bit. The comet is the white thing in the top left. Sorry, didn't mean to post this twice.
Attached Images

jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:31 PM   #2

This was also taken last Thursday. The window of opportunity to see this thing for us in the Northern Hemisphere was about a half hour between the time the sun was far enought below the horizon to darken the skies enough for the comet to appear and the comet disappearing below the horizon.
Attached Images

Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:36 PM   #3

Great capture. You can really see the comets tail well. Did you use a tripod/ extended exposure to get this shot? I'm at work so I have no access to exif data.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 2:13 PM   #4

I used a tripod, but I shot it in program mode and over exposed a half a stop. I think the shutter speeds were 1/30 or 1/60 in most shots. F was 5.6. Here is another one.
Attached Images

Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:12 PM   #5

great shot - Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:54 PM   #6

How low on the horizon does the comet get? I'm wondering if a longer exposure and letting it fall closer to the horizon (less light) is possible. I love stuff like this. Nice job.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:56 PM   #7

I have a series of shots recording comet McNaught all the way to the horizon four days in a row. I haven't resized them for the web yet. The exposures never got slower than 1/15 of a second, so they were not particularly long compared to some of the pics I shoot. With other comets, I've had to shoot 15 second or 30 second exposures. The comet is about five minutes from going behind that cloud layer on the horizon in this shot. My good shots of Comet Hale Bopp, taken in 1995 with a K1000 and 800 speed film, were between 20 seconds and 30 seconds. If you go here http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/...current_c3.mpg you can see the same comet through the camera of the SOHO satellite.
Attached Images

Old Jan 16, 2007, 12:19 AM   #8

Last Friday, the 12th was the last dayComet McNaughtwas visible here in the Northwest. I looked at it for about 15 minutes as it set with a 5" rich field telescope, very nice. Watched it go into the evergreentrees on top of a mountain a few miles away. Friday was a perfectly clear day and cold, like 6 degrees that night.

I took this picture on Thursday and as you can see, it was not very dark yet. I was using my DL with a DA50-200mm lens. This one was about 1/30 and f11. You guys down under are in for a real treatstarting this week as the comet swings around the sun. I think it would have been better at 1/15 maybe f10. I was using a tripod, but I was enjoying it to much and forgot to bracket my exposures. It set all to quickly- Bruce

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 4:43 AM   #9

Here are 2 versions taken here in Christchurch NZ yesterday.

K10D and 400 Sigma handheld @ 1/60 second F5.6.

Really have to get into using tripod but always so little time at sunrise and sunset.LOL.

Ian Mc
Attached Images

Ian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 4:47 AM   #10

I noticed when I was fiddling withoriginal edit that SmartFix in Coded Color PSP brought up the tail a bit more.

So here is a crop of previous shot in SmartFix.
Attached Images

Ian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote