Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 16, 2007, 2:39 AM   #11

Hi Harriet,

I'd go along with the white faced Ibis also, and really like the first and third shots.

Gebes, in my experience are very hard to shoot -- they seem to dive as a defensive measure, and can swim underwater for a considerable distance -- so you need stealth and luck to get anywhere near them. The only Grebes I've seen in my area are Pied Billed Grebes, and I've only seen them in early spring and late fall. Very neat little birds tho. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 8:25 AM   #12

Royce - these were all taken with the A*300. I've been practicing more with it for the in-flight shots but still miss more than I get. This was the only Ibis I saw all day - just happened to look up when he flew by and snapped the picture (he looked so different from the rest of the birds around). If you decide to take a wildflower trip to the Anza-Borrego area in spring, take your birding lens and stop by the Salton Sea - lots of various birds.

Scott - The grebes are mostly eared grebes (think that's what I found out). Most of the nation's population of this particular species winters at the Salton Sea, along with quite a few of the other varieties. They are fun to watch because they are so quick, and I love the heads popping up before the body. There were so many of them that as long as you did an area shot, you were pretty sure you'd get at least one bird in frame. I have a not-very-good picture of a Great Egret just after he took off and his wing is pointing to a grebe's head sticking out of the water. It's one of those "oh, darn!" pictures - would have been really good, but...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:15 PM   #13

The 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th are my favourites.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:56 AM   #14

Harriet,
Although your picture taking didn't go as planned. Looks like you took some really good shots. I'm totally impressed if these were from a manual lens.
Fred
Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:23 AM   #15

Great shots Harriet. Those flying critters are not easy to get - especially with manual focusing. Very good job on these.....cheers......Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:27 AM   #16

Hi Harriet. I checked my bird book, and it looks like a Whimbrel. The body is almost a double for the picture in my book, but the bird you shot is a little darker looking. Maybe it's a variation....cheers....Don

mtngal wrote
Quote:

My field guide doesn't include a picture that looks like this - does anyone know what it is? I assume it is some type of wader.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:43 PM   #17

I was researching some other birds and came across this post. I thought I would offer an ID. The bird in your first shot is a White-faced Ibis. We have tons of them up here in Northern Calif. The winter plumage lacks the white face. Great series of pictures BTW.
Cheers Steve

Last edited by smac; Jan 10, 2010 at 4:45 PM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:58 PM   #18

I really like the 3rd shot, I understand the challenge with manual lenses, I got frustrated just chasing the grand kids on the soccer field with manual lenses

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:28 PM   #19

Good heavens, this is an old thread. I can't believe it's been 3 years since I took these pictures, the time has flown by. Thanks for the compliments, and I'm glad this one got unearthed. It sure would be nice to go back and try my hand again there.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:55 PM   #20

Hmmm... In Florida we have Ibis that look like these but, we call them Glossy Ibis. I don't know if a similar bird or the same one with a different name.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote