Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:37 PM   #1

We spent the weekend in Indio and the Salton Sea area. It was not one of my more inspired time - anything that could go wrong did go wrong. I took a bunch of pictures of egrets and white pelicans but didn't notice that the camera was set at ISO 1000 (had been taking pictures indoors earlier) and they were just too noisy to make anything out of them. I had noticed it but figured I'd see more of these birds at a different location, so I didn't re-take them when I noticed the problem. I never got as close to the pelicans or egrets all day.

My field guide doesn't include a picture that looks like this - does anyone know what it is? I assume it is some type of wader.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:41 PM   #2

I think these are American Wigeons - they look like the picture in my book, and they definitely have the green on their heads. There was a huge flock of them on a pond near the Salton Sea (this is actually an interior lake that is salt water).
Attached Images

Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:41 PM   #3

Another wigeon
Attached Images

Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:43 PM   #4

I processed these on my laptop computer - they look a bit different on the big monitor (the laptop's monitor isn't the greatest). I think these were grebes (there are tons of these small water birds there).

P.S. They are divers - look at the head in the lower right corner. The ripples in the water are where a bird had been a second before I pressed the shutter.
Attached Images

Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:52 PM   #5

mtngal,

Like the first one and the 3rd wigeon as well. Can't name the first one though. Got to learn some winter bird shooting or survival skill from your gals /guys. Thanks for posting

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:03 PM   #6

I think I've identified the first one while looking for Tom's wading bird. I think the first one is a White-Faced Ibis - apparently they have white around their bills when breeding, non-breeding adults and immatures don't show it. But I'm really not sure that's what this is.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:18 PM   #7

I really like the first one no matter what it is!

Nice flying shot.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:24 PM   #8

Nice series you did gooood. Don't have idea what number one is othr than it is a bird of some kind but it is my favorite.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7, Pentax K10D

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:34 PM   #9

thehotel wrote:
Quote:
it is a bird of some kind
Yes,definitely a bird. Serious, you're getting serious about birding. Great flight shots!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:41 PM   #10

Great shots! Were these from your A 300mm? If so, then I am truly impressed that you were able to manually focus and capture them so well while in flight! I believe you are correct about the white faced ibis. I've seen a few around here but I have never been able to get a decent shot of them. I have trouble getting good contrast on them compared to the background foliage or water. Nice capture!
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote