Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 16, 2007, 2:39 AM   #1

I've been playing with some of my manual lenses over the last few days....

I had my Ricoh 50mm F2 lens on the camera Saturday when I went out, and I noticed that for longer distance shots (shots that require use of the infinity setting on the focus ring) I couldn't actually get the image to focus properly.

In fact, when set to F2, I was only getting shots that looked like this:

Now, when I set the lens to F16, the highest F stop on this particular lens, I got relativly clear pictures, like this:

Of course, when I'm shooting in a hurry, this means I have to trust the depth of field instead of actualy seeing the subject of the image in focus (since I don't have time to check the DOF each time)...

I suppose this means I need to either stop using this lens, or make sure when I do use it, I can use it at higher F-stops. (And I'll probably lean towards other lenses, since I have two zooms that also cover the 50mm focal length... the kit lens and a 35-80mm).

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:46 AM   #2

Is that Ricoh lens a screw mount lens? Whether or not it can focus to infinity probably depends on the adapter you're using. If you're using a proper Pentax adapter and it has that problem, then it probably is something about the lens.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:59 AM   #3

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
Is that Ricoh lens a screw mount lens? Whether or not it can focus to infinity probably depends on the adapter you're using. If you're using a proper Pentax adapter and it has that problem, then it probably is something about the lens.
No, It's a K-mount lens. It is actually the kit lens I got with my Ricoh KR5 Super II almost 19 years ago...

Although, I won't say there isn't a problem with the lens.... It was dropped at one point in time (probably 18 years ago) while attached to the Ricoh... as I recall, something jammed in the lens, and I took the mounting flange off to fix it. The only external reminder of the drop is a dent in the filter ring... though the filter ring is still useable....

Paul
Old Jan 16, 2007, 4:28 AM   #4

pbender wrote:
Quote:
No, It's a K-mount lens. It is actually the kit lens I got with my Ricoh KR5 Super II almost 19 years ago...

Although, I won't say there isn't a problem with the lens.... It was dropped at one point in time (probably 18 years ago) while attached to the Ricoh... as I recall, something jammed in the lens, and I took the mounting flange off to fix it. The only external reminder of the drop is a dent in the filter ring... though the filter ring is still useable.
I applaud your diligence with this lens but, given it's history & problems in use, I'd tend to suggest that it's not worth persevering with.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 8:38 AM   #5

have you done this test using the ricoh & film?? have you shot the same shot with the other lenses? i know the others will probably not stop down as far but it might help..

roy
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:17 AM   #6

robar wrote:
Quote:
have you done this test using the ricoh & film??
This was actually my primary film lens, and I can't say I remember ever having a problem with it at F2.... Of course, that doesn't mean that I didn't have the problem with it, only that I didn't notice it...

Quote:
have you shot the same shot with the other lenses? i know the others will probably not stop down as far but it might help..
Not the same shot, but I don't have any problems with focusing other lenses. The whole reason I noticed what was going on is that I couldn't get the subject to look in focus through the vewfinder unless I hit the DOF switch.

Paul
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:24 AM   #7

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
I applaud your diligence with this lens but, given it's history & problems in use, I'd tend to suggest that it's not worth persevering with.
Well, I'm a cheap bastard.... so I'm not read to give up on it yet :G.... at least I'm not ready to replace it with another 50mm lens.

I'll probably just leave it out of the travel kit, and use it for shots where I have more control over the distance to subject. It focuses just fine on subjects that are a couple of feet away, just not out at infinity.

Paul
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:29 AM   #8

It is quite possible that the lens was acceptably sharp for film, we usually did not view the images large enough (and close enough) to see minor sharpness issues. With the dSLR you are actually viewing images at 100% view as ifthey were42" X 28" (that is for a 6MP image). That is actually larger than most home slide projection screens. The result is that we now see what we didn't notice before.

I would check for a "new" lens, possibly a Pentax 50mm f1.7 M, A, F or FA (the M should be a real bargain) to replace the Ricoh.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:42 AM   #9

It looks like the M 50mm f/2 lenses are going for about $35, the f/1.7 lenses about $50 and the f/1.4 lenses for about $150 on ebay right now. The A series a bit more and the F series quite a bit more.

Some Ricoh lenses can be a problem on Pentax DSLR's at times and can get stuck on the camera.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:50 AM   #10

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Some Ricoh lenses can be a problem on Pentax DSLR's at times and can get stuck on the camera.
Yes, I was made aware of this before I purchased the K10D.

As I recall, this only affects Ricoh's modification of the K-mount that was equivilent to the A setting on Pentax lenses (some Richo lenses had a "P" mode, but it can't be used on a Pentax).

Paul