Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:03 PM   #21
Super Moderator

Currently there is no known cure! I'm still in denial and can get by with my daily fix of checking out specs but it is getting harder to go on
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:27 PM   #22

MT/Sarah,

Thanks. I knew it had something to do with getting more, so I thought it might be "lets buy another!" Anyway thanks for the info!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:03 PM   #23

There is no cure for LBA but there is a treatment. First of all judge lenses by their results not their specs, only the exceptionally good (read ultra expensive) and exceptionally bad (read cheap and slow) are truly noticeable in most prints. Mediocre film lenses often work far better on digital since their biggest flaws are usually corner sharpness and vignetting, both of which are at least partially cured by the smaller image circle required (we no longer use the troublesome corners). Case in point, I have a Pentax FA 100-300mm f4.7-5.8 (the later, lighter model), it is silver coloured with a plastic lens mount but is actually quite good optically (some of my best shots were taken with it). It is light, cheaply built and not very good on my film SLR but it is much better than expected on the dSLRs.

By applying this treatment you can satisfy the LBA without actually succumbing to financial failure. Sort of like methadone treatment for heroine addicts.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:17 PM   #24

Ira,

Well said! Look at some of the postings on this site with the "lesser" lenses! Besides that you can find some great, old lenses, cheap on e-bay if you are willing to put up with manual focus and few electronic losses. Thank you Pentax for being backward compatible!

Glenn

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:00 PM   #25

This crop factor issue sometimes borders on silliness. When film photographers moved from 35mm to medium format they never really spent any effort dealing with the difference in focal length for a "normal" lens (ie crop factor). The "normal" perspective generally means a focal length close to the diagonal length of your film frame, for 35mm that means something in the mid 40mm range so 50mm became the normal. The small frame 645 series medium format cameras came with a 65-80mm "normal", the 6X6 square format came with 80mm and the 6X7s (and 6X8s)usually had 90mm lenses. All of these combinations give a similar natural perspective to the shot, this made them easy to learn to use, and more predictable in results. Although all of these cameras produced a different sized negative, they all produced similar results.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote