Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 16, 2007, 8:37 PM   #1

I currently have the 18-55mm kit lens as well as a Sigma 70-300mm DG APO macro. Thinking of getting a Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC IF Macro to replace my kit lens. Can anybody tell me how much better the image quality is compared to the kit lens? Thanks!

Jason
NatureAdmirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2007, 9:02 AM   #2

I have both the kit lens and the Sigma 17-70mm lens. I like the 18-55 and have shot a lot of photos with it, but I LOVE the Sigma...it has better range..17-70mm and great macro capabilities. It is a superior lens and great walk about lens.

whbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 9:51 AM   #3

The Sigma will give you about a 25.5mm - 105mm which is a great range and the MTF charts on the sigma site look great. How much is this lens gonna cost you?
CptOfGondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:39 AM   #4

Hi whbroker and CptOfGondrr,

Thanks for your replay. After further research, I decided not to go for the Sigma 17-70mm at this moment. I saw a few pictures taken with this lens and I am not impressed by the image quality (I could be wrong though). I just found that Sigma is going to release a 18-200mm OS lens. I think I will probably go for this lens. For two reasons: 1) It covers the most commonly used focal range therefore it is a good walk around lens; 2) It has Optical Stabilization. The latter feature is a remedy for my K110D which lacks the SR function (I regret that I did not go for a K100D).

Have a nice day!

Jason

NatureAdmirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 1:18 PM   #5
TC3

SDell yours and get a K100D instead...makes a bit more sense than to splash out a ton on a OS lens that may not have decent image quality....then any lens u do have will be stabilized...makes perfect sense
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 1:43 PM   #6

NatureAdmirer wrote:
Quote:
Hi whbroker and CptOfGondrr,

Thanks for your replay. After further research, I decided not to go for the Sigma 17-70mm at this moment. I saw a few pictures taken with this lens and I am not impressed by the image quality (I could be wrong though). I just found that Sigma is going to release a 18-200mm OS lens. I think I will probably go for this lens. For two reasons: 1) It covers the most commonly used focal range therefore it is a good walk around lens; 2) It has Optical Stabilization. The latter feature is a remedy for my K110D which lacks the SR function (I regret that I did not go for a K100D).

Have a nice day!

Jason

I seriously doubt that the OS lens will be available in Pentax mount, only the K10D has the power contacts to run such an option, and it already has SR.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 3:53 PM   #7

My Sigma 17-70 is miles better than my kit 18-55 lens in terms of quality of image. I couldn't believe how poor the kit lens was in comparison to my previous camera's lens on a x10 zoom Olympus C750, so I just had to get something better. It's sharp at all apertures, zero PF and focuses quick. Problems? No quick shift, hardly noticeable very slight red/orange cast easily tweaked out but nothing's perfect.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 1:15 AM   #8

These are taken with Sigma 17-70mm on K10D.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Image quality seems a bit better than Sigma 18-125mmbut that is also good.
bobinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:42 PM   #9
TC3

SteveB wrote:
Quote:
My Sigma 17-70 is miles better than my kit 18-55 lens in terms of quality of image. I couldn't believe how poor the kit lens was in comparison to my previous camera's lens on a x10 zoom Olympus C750, so I just had to get something better. It's sharp at all apertures, zero PF and focuses quick. Problems? No quick shift, hardly noticeable very slight red/orange cast easily tweaked out but nothing's perfect.
Dont knock the lens. I and many others on dpreview have got some great results with the kit lens. Dont knock something just cos u might not have what it takes to get the best out of it!
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 5:44 PM   #10

Hi Jason,

The Pentax kit lens is a very good lens. The Sigma 17-70mm lens is good also. But as far as the 18-200mm goes I would no go for it. The range of zoom is to great. I use a 28-200mm Sigma. For me it is right on the edge of the zoom range.

For my walk around general purpose lens I use a 28-70mm f4 Pentax. I shoot landscape mainly and have not felt the need to have anything wider than 28mm.

Learn the sweet spots and quirks of a lens before thinking that you need a better lens. Once you do you might amaze yourself at the results you get.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote