Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:47 PM   #1

I have two questions. First, what is the best/easiest way to resize your pictures to get them on the forum. And second how do you get more than one picture on at a time? The browse box seemed to allow only one at a time. Thanks

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2007, 3:46 AM   #2
TDN

For your 1st question: http://www.irfanview.com , very handy tool. Allows batch resizing too, and it's free!

for your 2nd question: To post multiple pictures you have to upload them somewhere on the web, and use the direct link to them. Then click the little image-icon when you make a post and paste the direct link in there.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 4:50 AM   #3

Most graphics packages will resize BUT the results vary depending upon which resizing algorithm is used.

Obviously when resizing from 3008x2008 to 700x467 (which is considered to be the best size for publishing here as it keeps the image on the screen) there's going to be some deterioration in image quality.

I've found that using the Lanzcos filter in DCE Enhance produces the best results.

Inserted code:

Code:

Bronze statue to commemorate Jimi Hendrix at his last concert on the IW three weeks prior to his death 18 September 1970 due to a sleeping sleeping pill overdose.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 7:13 AM   #4

Thank you for the input.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 7:52 AM   #5

i usually use PS as it tells you the size of the image w/o the exif before you save it. i try to keep the size at around 100k and the exif info adds about another 5-10k. i first change the dpi to 72 and then the long side to 700-800dpi depending on the image. you get the option to change the compression amount to lower the actual xxxK of the finished image.

roy
Old Jan 17, 2007, 7:55 AM   #6

I agree with Roy, Photoshop does the best job of resizing, with the most control.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:44 AM   #7

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I agree with Roy, Photoshop does the best job of resizing, with the most control.
But only if using BiCubic Shaper which I believe is only available in Adobe Photoshop CS or later.

DCE Enhance allows you to define the image size, file size, minimum & maximum quality and batch processing is easier than writing an 'action' file in PS which can't cope with a mix of portrait & landscape files - unless it's improved since PS v7.

I'm not knocking PS as I use it exclusively for post processing but for most, it's way over budget whilst other lesser programs offer a resize that's potentially better at a more affordable price.

The attached comparison is using an imageconverted to 700x467 and saved at 150kByte
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 9:14 AM   #8

I get good results in Photoshop Elements by resizing with Bicubic (not Bicubic Sharper), then doing my own resharpening to taste. Often it'll look good with Unsharp Mask at about Radius = 0.3 and Amount = 100%.

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 9:28 AM   #9

dan-mx-ds2 wrote:
Quote:
I get good results in Photoshop Elements by resizing with Bicubic (not Bicubic Sharper), then doing my own resharpening to taste. Often it'll look good with Unsharp Mask at about Radius = 0.3 and Amount = 100%.

Dan
The PS version looks sharper to me!

Elemements does a great job too at a lesser cost.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 9:48 AM   #10

I just use the resize "powertool" downloaded from Microsoft for XP.

Example:
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote