Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 18, 2007, 1:25 AM   #1

After using the new cam for a few weeks now, I gotta say, what a fine machine! The IQ I think is A-1, and not "just" as quoted in another website's review (bad edge pixel sharpness--gimme a break!). The biggest gains I've found were shooting performance oriented:
The AF seems much better to me than my earlier models. I find now the AF locks on much faster and accurately when shooting in bushes etc chasing birds, and there's a lot less hunting by the AF.
The buffer is excellent, and I've never yet been left waiting to take the next shot.
The new shooting modes are nice too, although I must admit, I usually end up shooting in Av 95% of the time. But it's good to know they're available if needed.
The so called noisy sensor is a myth I think - get the exposure right in high ISO, and the IQ is very good, and is totally useable.
Love the new battery too. Been out for hours shooting, and have yet to even see it run down below the full setting. I like it much better than the AA's.
Weather sealed body-this is a godsend in our climate as it rains here so much, and was one of the main reasons I stuck with Pentax. I contemplated the Nikon d200 just for this feature alone. I've been out shooting in precipitation and haven't had to worry a bit about the camera getting damaged by rain-at least I hope it's dependable in this respect. I'm not holding it under a hose or anything silly, but it is nice to know it has that sealing.
Shake reduction. It works and it is very useful-enough said.
But mainly, it's nice to have great shooting performance and excellent IQ. The only real new feature that may be a little suspect is the dust removal. I turned it off after the first couple of times of use. Not sure I want the sensor shaking and moving around like that, and besides, I haven't seen any dustballs yet anyway.
I'm sorry, I couldn't hold my enthusiasm any longer, so posted this fanboy thread. Any others out there as happy as me?....cheers.........Don:-) Oh, just to show the "bad" edge sharpness, here's a couple of shots I took today--100% crops.

Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2007, 1:25 AM   #2

Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 1:44 AM   #3

I have to agree. So far I'm very happy with my K10. I've noticed a bit of noise under certain conditions, but don't know if it wouldn't have been there using my DL. If the conditions are poor I challenge ANY digital cam toproducezero noise. So far the camera has done evrything I've asked of it without fail. I'm well satisfied with the purchase.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:11 AM   #4

Also have to agree - imho, I'm the delimiting factor to getting great shots, not the camera :? - Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 4:59 AM   #5

YUP and Canon and Nikon still seem to be napping!!!!

They could sort of POOH POOH the K100D for just being 6MP and less feature rich...
With the K10Dthey now have a contender they can't really touch....

Go Tortise go!!!!!

And newer digital people think Pentax is something NEW.... sorry NO as long or longer than Canon and Nikon..... just some bad end of film era descisions.... but boy do they suddenly have digital down with a VENGENCE!!!

Tried to sneak up on the with them with the modest K100D test bed.... and SLYLY DID... but have suddenly (like C or N EVER live up to promises and figured SOS) come out with both barrels blazzing with the K10D..... where the H did THAT come from :blah: is echoing in the halls of C & N I have no doubt.

And note NOTHING (no time/resources wasted) in between.... K100D PROVED there was demand for the technology....and BOOM.... just Clark Kent to Superman in on fell swoop. :lol:

I LOVE IT!!!

And I'd be willing to bet the K10Dwas ALWAYS there ( that would explain the near immediate firmware update).... but they SLYLY put the lower cost hardly a ripple in the pond mild mannered K100D (other than IS) out first.... it rocketed and showed the 10D would be cost effective was out 2 or 3 months later.... there was NO R&D there it was already waiting in the wings... just to see if the idea FLEW.... now its SOARING.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:20 PM   #6

Ok you're a fan boy! lol I've been impressed with the K10 myself. I'm happy with the purchase.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:11 AM   #7

Dito... I am a VERY happy camper:|
Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:18 AM   #8

Don, You took the words out of my mouth ! :-) Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:32 AM   #9

And why does it keeping blowing us away????

Well here is an example..... I am shooting this at at least 500 ft (anyone familiar with Mallory Sq in KW from one end to the other)...and 300mm plus 1.5x extenter.... NOT reported to the 10D.... still thinks its a 300/450mm (sensor crop) not near the real 450/675mm compensation it actually needs to be.

But still 1/60th a second..... breaking the 1/FL shutter rule by MORE than a a factor of 10!!! UNBRACED HAND HELD. (unless you count elbow on chest and holding breath)

OK maybe not perfect but look at the relatively static elements like the flag (which oviously is moving) and tightrope structure.

Other than fast moving object I almost dont even pay attention to shutter speed with the 10D any more.... as berated as it is vs LENS IS.... stiill DAMN astounding!!!!
Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 3:35 AM   #10

Not bad, but (and I mean no dis-respect with this) if the acrobat had been as sharp as the flag the picture would have been better. Plus you seem to have sensor dust in this pic.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote