Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:33 PM   #1

Hi All,

This is the type of commercial that Pentax needs to get the word out. :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz6XjXu-oT8&eurl=

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:40 PM   #2

Personally I think that is the worst thing Pentax should do. In my opinion, despite the snide comments from people not counting Pentax as a proper camera, it is better to be understated.

This means that for those PHOTOGRAPHERS, not sheep, who want a camera to take photos and research what they want, Pentax will remain affordable. If Pentax start spending on serious advertising we will soon find that the prices will rival the other brands which will put paid to a lot of the fun we currently have with our cameras and old lenses.

Just my opinion.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:42 PM   #3

Ever since I bought a new Nissan, I've periodically received Nissan brochures in the mail, rather high quality stuff too, not trying to sell me anything but rather to show off the company as being progressive, stylish and innovative, while complimenting their customers as being smart, trendy and loyal to a company that has served them reliably. All this is obviously intended to promote pride in their brand as well as loyalty.

I could see Pentax doing something along those lines. For example, if there was some kind of Pentax user magazine, buying a camera could enroll you for a free 1 year subscription, while the magazine itself could provide tutorials, provide news of upcoming products and updates, showcase the accomplishments of professional and amateur Pentax users, and promote events of Pentax community get-togethers or training seminars.

I've seen a number of people factor into their purchasing decision the fact that Pentax and Panasonic had such an active community on Steves forums that it strenghtened their confidence in being able to get the help they needed in learning how to use the camera to it's fullest. Companies have a lot to learn and benefit from in forums like this.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 5:31 PM   #4

have no idea.. no sound on this machine..

roy
Old Jan 18, 2007, 6:05 PM   #5
TDN

Pentax just needs some marketing, at least over here...

They've got some fine products out, but in belgium, 90% of the stores only sell Nikon and Canon lenses! Even the 3rd party lenses are mostly only available in Nikon and Canon mount.

Problem is that the stores never hear of Pentax. Nikon has spots on the radio and Canon advertises on TV here, nothing from Pentax.

If people learned about a camera like the K10D, and more importantly, if the lens availability increased, I'm sure the sales would go up dramatically here.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 6:26 PM   #6

Well it's the same here in the States TDN. At least in my neck of the woods. only one store carries anything Pentax and they have a very small selection. The rest only carry N or C and one carries Sony. The store that DOES carry Pentax stuff only carries one or two kits and very few lenses.

What I'd like to see Pentax do in the near future is bring out more lenses. I know they are bringing out some*digital lenses soon and thats cool if you can afford them, but it would be terrific if they would bring out some good general purpose good quality glass that you don't have to sell your house to buy.How about a 200-300mm? Good useful range and should be cheaper to make than a larger range lens like 70-300 0r 28-300 is. Or how about making the 50mm f1.4 in quantity so those of us that ordered them could actually GET one? lol
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 6:34 PM   #7

Hi,

Roy, You have to put a sound card in that machine of yours... I thought it was pretty funny. People you need to lighten up and have some fun. You look at this video all wrong. I really don't think Kodak or any other company would put something like this on the air.

For me photography is Tranquility,Relaxation,Enjoyment and the ability to laugh at and with yourself. My pictures are for things I can not put into words.

Rudy

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 7:36 PM   #8

bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi,
For me photography is Tranquility,Relaxation,Enjoyment and the ability to laugh at and with yourself. My pictures are for things I can not put into words.

Rudy

this is by my recliner. 13''screen, wireless M&KB. machine in the endtableand that's about it. seldomly gets used.

roy
Old Jan 18, 2007, 7:46 PM   #9

That was a darn good promo piece! Very funny. Yet still gets the message across that Kodak has their crap together, and isn't about to fade into the abyss with film.

Darn good piece.

On another note, here's a link to a bunch of K10D spots...unfortunatly, they were not for the US market.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9CVCCNM0ec
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:54 PM   #10

Look at it this way, used lens prices are already too high!

Two years ago you could buy a FA* 300mm f/4.5 for about $300 on ebay, now they go for over $1,000.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote