Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:21 PM   #1

I am a new owner of a K100, thanks in part to these forums. It is nice to see such an active group of users!

I have a 1GB Sandisk card, but would like a second, faster card. I looked through the manual, and did a search here, but could not find any information as to the write speed of the K100. I can get a Lexar 60x or a second-tier brand 133x for a similar price. I would prefer the Lexar for the sake of reliability, but will I see any speed improvement if I buy the off-brand card, or a fasterLexar?

Chris
silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2007, 3:15 PM   #2

Can't speak with any authority on the K100 but the *istDS doesn't show any differences from a standard speed SD Card to a high speed card; the only advantage is when transferring images using a high speed card reader on a USB 2 bus.

I own2 Integralx66 (10MB/s) 1G cards & a Kingston x50 2G card which showed no 'in camera' speed improvement over a PNY Technologies (4MB/s) card.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 3:23 PM   #3

Hi Chris,

I wish I had an answer for you. I would love to know the write speed of the camera to the card.There has been MUCH discussion on this forum about card speeds, but nobody seems to know how fast the camera writes to the card. AsI said in a different thread, as long as the card is as fast or faster than the camera, any card speed above that will not improve performance.I like to think of it sort of like a CDburner on your computer. If you have a 52X burner, buying 60X blankCDs isn't going to make things faster.

I also wanted to add that I recently bought a 2GB SanDisk Ultra II card from Staples for $39.99. That was the price in the store (no mail-in rebate needed).

gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 1:38 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll be going with the Lexar Pro 60x. I will definitely be more confident in it's reliability.

I'll post some photos up once I resize them.

Chris
silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 5:33 PM   #5

I saw on another forum that the write speed is 66x for the K100. I found a 80x that was cheaper than the 60x, and i know NOTHING about these things but bought it anyways. I hope it works. (but am aware the extra speed is no more beneficial than 66x)
MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote