Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:22 PM   #11

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Excellent shots Hogrider. You really seem to have got the HDR technique nailed.

I never seem to get the required tonal range to do the conversion in CS2. How many pics do you use and how many stops aprt do they have to be?

Darren
1.5 to 2 stops over and under. Max of 3 images total. That's all I need. I use PhotoMatrix and Ulead Photo Impact. CS2 doesn't work for me.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:24 PM   #12

julianne wrote:
Quote:
oh my !!!! those a beautiful photos but not to sound dumb but what is HDR???

i have seen it a few times but have no idea what it means.
HDR - High Dymanic Range

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:22 PM   #13

I think I should give up on HDR:-) I can't get results anywhere near as good as these.
Or maybe I should try Ulead Photo Impact and see what I get.

Great pics HogRider
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:30 PM   #14

Man you have a great eye. Very nice pictures
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 3:20 AM   #15

HogRider wrote:
Quote:
Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Excellent shots Hogrider. You really seem to have got the HDR technique nailed.

I never seem to get the required tonal range to do the conversion in CS2. How many pics do you use and how many stops aprt do they have to be?

Darren
1.5 to 2 stops over and under. Max of 3 images total. That's all I need. I use PhotoMatrix and Ulead Photo Impact. CS2 doesn't work for me.
Thanks. Just d/l the free version pf PhotoMatrix (Basic). That does seem to work very well. Just got to find some suitable images now.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 5:52 AM   #16

these are all well composed
but that first truck is a beauty

a free version of photomatrix
i will have to look into that
i wouldnt mind giving this a bash

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 8:01 AM   #17

Can't seem to get the dramatic effects that HogRiderachieves - perhaps it's to do with subject matter & it's only my third attempt.

Perhaps HogRidercould provide us with some indication to the settings he used to achieve his dramatic results.

The first one is the normal exposed image post processed in CS3.

The second was done using Photomatrix / Combine / Highlights & Shadows - Auto, then post processed in CS3.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 9:42 AM   #18

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Can't seem to get the dramatic effects that HogRiderachieves - perhaps it's to do with subject matter & it's only my third attempt.

Perhaps HogRidercould provide us with some indication to the settings he used to achieve his dramatic results.

The first one is the normal exposed image post processed in CS3.

The second was done using Photo matrix / Combine / Highlights & Shadows - Auto, then post processed in CS3.
Hi. I am not using Photo shop - so that part I cannot answer. I use Ulead Photo Impact and Photo matrix. I create the HDR file in Photo matrix and save as HDR.

Later I open this file with Photo matrix again or Ulead PhotoImpact. I just play around with the Contrast and the highlights etc until it looks right, sometimes I have even made 2 different ones and then blended them together in PSP. I also use the Dodge and Burn tool.

Not every subject seems to work as HDR. I have done many with just blue sky or back lit scenes and they didn't come out at all. Seems there is a lot of trial and error.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 9:45 AM   #19

I'm using Photomatrix to blend 3 images, followed by CS3 to enhance them up.

If I use 'Poster Edges' it seems to achieve a similar results to yours.

I decided to use HDR/Generate then Tone Mapping to adjust the detail with this result.

Reading the user guide reveals a 2 stage process:

Using Photomatix
[/b]
Photomatix merges two or more differently exposed photos into an image with increased dynamic range.

Photomatix offers two types of processes to increase the dynamic range. One process is called HDR Tone Mapping and is available from the HDR menu. The other process is called Exposure Blending and is available from the Combine menu.

The Exposure Blending process is the easiest to understand. This process directly combines your differently exposed photos into one image that shows details in both highlights and shadows.

The other process, HDR Tone Mapping, involves two steps. The first step creates an HDR image from your differently exposed photos. The second step processes the HDR image in order to reveal its details in highlights and shadows.

Both Exposure Blending and HDR Tone Mapping are designed to produce an image with increased apparent dynamic range, but their results are different. We are recommending to try both and then choose the result that works best with your images. This is easy to do with the Batch Processing function available under the Automate menu.

HDR Tone Mapping:
1. Click on Generate from menu HDR to create an HDR image from photos of the same scene taken under different exposures.

2. Click on Tone Mapping from menu HDR to reveal details in highlights and shadows in the HDR image.

Exposure Blending:
1. Open images of the same scene taken under different exposures.

2. Click on Highlights & Shadows - Auto from menu Combine.

3. Optionally, you may want to try another combination method (for instance Highlights & Shadows - Adjust) with the same images. Photomatix will only combine the source images you have opened, i.e. excluding resulting images.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote