Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 19, 2007, 5:00 PM   #1

In case anyone's interested, a 300mm * lens just went up for sale on ebay. No reserve. I'm not the seller or anything, just thought someone might be interested.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2007, 5:51 PM   #2

You think the FA* 300 is pricey, just wait to see what that one goes for.

Too heavy and too expensive.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 3:43 AM   #3

It's been up for sale before, the same starting price. Zero bids.

From Germany there's a A* 400 mm f2.8 out now. First round started with 2500 EUR (3242 USD). Zero bids. Relisted at 2000 EUR (2593 USD). So far zero bids. A bit comforting to see, I think. If I was a millionaire I'd buy it and put it on display in the livingroom. For photography I think it's useless, unless you're Arnold Schwarzeneggers younger brother.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 6:16 AM   #4

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
It's been up for sale before, the same starting price. Zero bids.

From Germany there's a A* 400 mm f2.8 out now. First round started with 2500 EUR (3242 USD). Zero bids. Relisted at 2000 EUR (2593 USD). So far zero bids. A bit comforting to see, I think. If I was a millionaire I'd buy it and put it on display in the livingroom. For photography I think it's useless, unless you're Arnold Schwarzeneggers younger brother.

Kjell
At first I did not understand Stan bible input about A300mmF2.8 little brother A*300mmF4 that it is " best lightweight hand-holdable long telephoto there is in all of God's creation". I thought :" give me a break" . It is likely one of smallest 300mm prime .

Holding it you can feel that it is a big chunk of metal and glass period. No space inside is wasted at all. When shooting outdoor, it is in my outer jacket ready to pop into my dslr for action. No hassle at all. Those classic Jap engineer.

I am nuts . I use it even for portrait.

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/70039668/original

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/70040258/original

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 7:55 AM   #5

Are you trying to tell us that this lens is like type OK, sort of?? hehe

Kjell
Old Jan 20, 2007, 8:17 AM   #6

Kjell,

It is handy. And in terms of ready for action the F4 version has no match.
As you said, sizeable telelens are great to an extent.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 9:19 AM   #7

ennacac wrote:
Quote:

Tom
I assume you're talking about the one for sale by Adorama. Wow! For that price, will it compose the picture for me too?:-)

I wonder what it would have went for new, in it's day.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:32 AM   #8

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Kjell,

It is handy. And in terms of ready for action the F4 version has no match.
As you said, sizeable telelens are great to an extent.

Daniel
But the f4 has on major disantvantage: I haven't got one! (this is what my psychiatristcall "lens envy")

As for the f2.8, I'll buy one and put it on display in my Pentax lens museum as soon as I have sold my collection of Jimi Hendrix' guitars and the Mozart original handwritings I have in a drawer in the attic.

Kjell
Old Jan 20, 2007, 11:24 AM   #9

Basement Shows wrote:
Quote:
ennacac wrote:
Quote:

Tom
I assume you're talking about the one for sale by Adorama. Wow! For that price, will it compose the picture for me too?:-)

I wonder what it would have went for new, in it's day.
Hi Basement,

B&H still lists the A*300/2.8 as "Special Order" new for $5152.50, and if I'm reading SPLOSdb correctly, the retail in Nov '03 was about the same at $5150, so @ 2 grand is probably pretty fair for a used one (but a bit out of the price range that I can justify).

If you're looking for a less expensive alternative, the Tamron Adaptall II model 60B, SP 300 f2.8 LD IF is a very very good performer (close, but not quite as good as the A* 300/2.8, in my estimation) and is commonly available for between $400-$800 on ebay. You'd also need a P K/A adapter, which is actually the harder thing to find nowadays.

After saying that I'd never buy a lens of this type because of the weight and expense, I bought one of the Tamrons last year . I haven't gotten a chance to use it much, but I feel that it's a viable alternative to the "Bigma", since I'll be using with a P F 1.7x AFA to give me a 4.5 lb, 510mm f4.8 -- about a half pound heavier, but about a stop faster than the Bigma (for more than a couple of hundred $$ less). It remains to be seen how useful this lens will be for my use. LBA has a way of making me very good at rationalization for my lens purchases :-). . . a very complex and compelling affliction.

These lenses won't compose the pic for you, but if you do anything close to your part in the process, they can allow you to take seriously good photos in surprisingly unfavorable lighting conditions. . . or at least that's what my LBA is telling me. . .:lol:

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:40 PM   #10

Any idea for how much an A* 300mm F4 goes for these days?

I recently sold my A 70-210mm mainly due to size/weight and need for cash (for other lenses of course). But there is chance that soon I will get some extra disposable cash on hand.

It looks like I start developing a bad case of Prime LBA: last night I received the FA35mm F2 and I already drool for more. I might need to check in rehab soon:-)

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote