Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 20, 2007, 11:54 PM   #1

Just recieved the new Macro Lens. Doing some testing. I really need to find something interseting to photograph. But for now its cold outside and dark so here are some dried flowers.

1st - Pentax 100mm f4 macro @ f22 with onboard flash.

2nd - Kiron(Lester A Dine Dental)105mm Macro @ f22 with Dine Ring Flash

3rd - Kiron(Lester A Dine Dental)105mm Macro @ f22 with Dine Ring Flash

Love the size of the Pentax 100mm f4 Macro. Really good results so far, especially just using the onboard flash. But theKiron lens justgets closer and seems really, really sharp. Almost likesharpening them is PS is overdoing it.The only drawback is convenience. Its altittle bigger, heavier, then when you consider the ring flash. Its hugh and not convenient at all.

Sorry to rant. Just excited about the new lenses. Trying to convince myself.

Thanks for looking,

Fred

Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:08 AM   #2
TDN

I personally love the Kiron. Sharpest lens I've seen so far, and great for portrait too.

Did you shoot these in RAW? If so, I'd pull up the exposure a little and add some shadow contrast to create a feeling of depth, especially in the last shot.

congrats on the new lens
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:48 AM   #3

Good shots. The ring flash seems to work well.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:15 AM   #4

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Did you shoot these in RAW? If so, I'd pull up the exposure a little and add some shadow contrast to create a feeling of depth, especially in the last shot.
the 100f4 is a superb lens. congrats.

tom, that's the problem with ring flashes and ring lights. they don't convey that sense of depth in the image. that why i like off camera flash fo macros. i have both but seldomly use them. some of the ring flashes let you turn off one side or a section of the flash. that may work better..

roy
Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:37 AM   #5
TDN

Well, in RSE you can add shadow & highlight contrast, which is a feature I use allmost every time. It really helps adding a little life to those "flat" images.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:13 PM   #6

TDN wrote:
Quote:
I personally love the Kiron. Sharpest lens I've seen so far, and great for portrait too.

congrats on the new lens
TDN,

I did shoot them in raw. Thanks for your input on the shadow contrast. I'll give it a try.

Fred
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:16 PM   #7

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Good shots. The ring flash seems to work well.

Darren
Thanks Darren.

The flash ring did work well. Meaning today it has decided to only put out a real low level flash. Not sure if i'm doing something wrong. Changed the batteries, double checked the connections, this is puzzling me.

Its the Lester A Dine ring flash.

Thanks

Fred