Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 22, 2007, 1:52 PM   #1

I just discovered, that a 6mp ISO1600 JPEG of the worst quality setting ("*" = 1 star) is good enough to print on A4.

I used some color noise reduction and very slight "grain noise" reduction and sharpened some channels (mainly R/G/I).

It was more a DOF test and camera settings test but I liked the shot and after a smaller print I gave it a try and printed A4in b/w. Crazy, I know.

I think that A4 is really the maximum for these settings - a printed crop (maybe 70-75% of the image) clearly showed JPEG artefacts, where you wouldn't notice them in the 100% picture from 20cm viewing distance or so.

Don't get me wrong - it for sure doesn't make a superb studio quality fine print - but to hang it on your wall or even hand it to someone as a huge photo it's good enough - even with that noise reduction and coming from ISO1600.

Maybe this isn't new for you - but itwas for me andI am quite happy about it. Good to know the limitations of your camera...

Maybe it's useful for you to know this, too. With a good RAW image or maybe "***" JPEG you should be able to print A3 or even blow up to A2 with some image manipulation (some bicubic interpolation from your PS or else should be better than letting to resize the picture by the print software...)

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2007, 4:14 PM   #2

Nothing flash, but I took a RAW photo, tried it at 6x4, then A4, then took it to Jessops and had it printed at A3.

Looked good in all sizes and the A3 now hangs above our bed.

IMHO it could go to poster size with no problems.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 1:37 AM   #3

Hm, yes - I expected something like that with my experience from yesterday. Nice.

Some Background:
Coming from a 4mp Oly C770 I know that even 4mp are enough to print A4 size... BUT not for ISO1600 shots and in the worst JPEG quality setting.

Since 6mp isn't too far from 4mp I expected good prints on smaller sizes but was unsure about the A4+ ones. Mind you - what I am so happy about is the high ISO / low quality thingy.

I was a bit worried upon reading about very bad JPEG quality in the *ist D cameras, but at least for what I do it seems to be ok. It means I can shoot on 2-star JPEG quality all day long knowing this - we are talking about 1000+ pics on a 2GB SD card here then which is amazing.

I haven't tried A3 prints from my Oly C770 pics - every pic bigger than A4 was some kind of panorama - and there was plenty of megapixels to work with then

Happy clicking and enjoy your photos!

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 2:39 AM   #4

NM
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 2:02 PM   #5

I have to admit that I've never known quite what the various A sizes are, so after reading the first post, I looked it up. I now have an idea how the ANSI "A" sizing relates to inches - ended up using AutoCAD's page set-up to figure it out. Some morning I think I'll try printing a B&W converted picture I did (not resized down to monitor size) and see if it will print on 18x24" or 24x36".

Does anyone have a larger format printer (maybe something that uses 24" paper)? I've sometimes thought about it, but usually the cost vs. use has always scared me off.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:44 PM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I have to admit that I've never known quite what the various A sizes are, so after reading the first post, I looked it up. I now have an idea how the ANSI "A" sizing relates to inches - ended up using AutoCAD's page set-up to figure it out. Some morning I think I'll try printing a B&W converted picture I did (not resized down to monitor size) and see if it will print on 18x24" or 24x36".

Does anyone have a larger format printer (maybe something that uses 24" paper)? I've sometimes thought about it, but usually the cost vs. use has always scared me off.
I considered buying a larger format printer. Epson sells one on their site that's a few years old but still gets good reviews. It's around $200-$300. However, after considering the price of the ink for a larger photograph, and the cost of the printer and such, I decided to just buy prints from my local developer (a dedicated photo place, not the chain store). I can get larger size prints for a few dollars each, and for the few times that I'll do it, I think it's the best way for me to go. Of course, I need to fully understand color profiles and colorspace and such so that I get the best print that I can.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote