Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 23, 2007, 3:05 AM   #11

robar wrote:
Quote:
Michelle = male/female ???
where i grew up Michelle was predominately male..
Female. I grew up in Canada, now I live in Germany - former engineer, but now barefoot and pregnant with my 2nd. :lol:

In fact, one of my first projects in the upcoming months (its not terribly important to me, but just something I want to work on) is to try to do self-maternity photos. My overall goals though, are to get nice shots of the architecture in our area, since its one of the only things I like about living here. Lastly, of course, good quality pics of my children, since even just the regular mall photo studios here are ghastly and ridiculously expensive (75€ for 4 prints of my baby daughter, no copies). I haven't found the professional studios that much better The last one is important because of all the family back home.

---

THANK YOU ALL so much for the tips! Esp that about the white balance. I had everything on Auto last night and kind of noticed it but can't be sure until i play a little more. I'll be back with more questions. :G

For now, I should probably turn the ISO warning on like Brett did, until I know better when to change it, eh?
MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 7:40 AM   #12

Yeah, the Auto white balance is not very good...especially indoors. I almost always carry a white sheet of paper with me to quickly set Manual White Balance for indoor shots. It's quick and easy and the results are great. If you're not sure how, it's explained pretty clearly in the owner's manual.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 7:55 AM   #13

Hey I waited it out (having had an original C Rebel... and 100 not that much SPEC better (but IS)) went straight for the K10D..... and tired waiting for the C40D probably just another warmed over 20D.

But BOTH K Pentax's are REMARKABLE cameras..... you think your mind is boggled,
might not hurt if you put off maybe even moving to a K10D for a good while.

In the 2+ weeks (and using every day) I have had the K10D (and do need to rebrowse the manual to) my jaw still hasn't stopped dropping that it does what it does. And still the, oh yeah thats how that works factor.

PLUS the 10D already has... a month after realease new firmware out correcting two minor most would never run into problems, and adding a dozen new control options as well.... thats REAL ( so not only rebrowse the manual... now already NEW features to play with and learn!!!!)

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:35 AM   #14

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, the Auto white balance is not very good...especially indoors. I almost always carry a white sheet of paper with me to quickly set Manual White Balance for indoor shots. It's quick and easy and the results are great. If you're not sure how, it's explained pretty clearly in the owner's manual.
Then again it always sort of amazes me that people really think incandesent light is white.... it is't even to the human eye... now it can certainly be too yellow.... but it just plain isn't white.... and often looks real un-natural when corrected to that extent, knowing the environment..
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:36 AM   #15

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
you think your mind is boggled,
might not hurt if you put off maybe even moving to a K10D for a good while.
Yeah, that won't be happening - I have no reason to move up - I'll never be a pro like the rest of you. :G

Bearing in mind, i'm coming from a camera with no screen/menu/digital features at all....and was built by some happy GDR germans in the 80s. :lol:
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:24 AM   #16
TDN

Thanks I'll check with the custom's office then

Maybe I can have it shipped to someone I know in the states and he can ship it as a gift to me...

too bad there's no warranty then though...

I was just wondering, because last time I ordered a lens from Canada, I ended up paying half the price extra on import duties and UPS costs. (42 euro for a 89 euro lens)

But that's for the long run...probably after the summer...

Thanks!
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 7:00 PM   #17

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
I almost always carry a white sheet of paper with me to quickly set Manual White Balance for indoor shots. It's quick and easy and the results are great. If you're not sure how, it's explained pretty clearly in the owner's manual.
Here in the US, most rooms will have a white wall or ceiling. That works just fine for setting custom white balance---anything white will work, it doesn't even have to be in focus.

Custom white balance is Fn button, left arrow for white balance, up arrow for custom (the cursor loops from auto WB at the top to custom WB at the bottom), then right arrow to set. Four button presses at most. You will want to switch back to auto WB if you use the flash, but setting the camera back to custom white balance, without resetting it, automatically brings back the last custom setting. So you only need to set custom WB once per room.

If you don't have white walls or ceiling---which could be more common in Germany---then you would need a white card or sheet of paper to set custom white balance.

BrettTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:02 PM   #18

BrettTurner wrote:
Quote:
gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
I almost always carry a white sheet of paper with me to quickly set Manual White Balance for indoor shots. It's quick and easy and the results are great. If you're not sure how, it's explained pretty clearly in the owner's manual.
Here in the US, most rooms will have a white wall or ceiling. That works just fine for setting custom white balance---anything white will work, it doesn't even have to be in focus........

....If you don't have white walls or ceiling---which could be more common in Germany---then you would need a white card or sheet of paper to set custom white balance.
Yes, any white surface will work. I've used walls, the circle in the middle of a school wrestling mat, even someone's white shirt. I started carrying the white sheet of paper when we got to a gym one day and the walls were all dark beige. I had one heck of a time tracking down a white surface in there.....hence the paper.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:42 AM   #19

BrettTurner wrote:
Quote:
If you don't have white walls or ceiling---which could be more common in Germany---then you would need a white card or sheet of paper to set custom white balance.
Yes, that IS the problem in Germany. :lol: None of my walls in our house are white. The ceiling and walls are all made of stone/concrete which is quite bumpy and textured (think like a stucco'd ceiling in the states with the lines and texture). can I still use surfaces that would have greyish shadows (cracks, lumps and speckling?). Thats probably a dumb question, since i read in my manual that i could also use a light grey card....

The problem with this, is that any pics I take in the house will be of children, who run from room to room - the living room is a deep red colour with halogen lights and the kitchen is a bright lime green with fluorescent lights - quite a switch.

With that in mind, is there anyways to set the white balance, etc for those two rooms and then SAVE them as a custom room profile? Or should i just use the auto-moving-object program for regular kid snapshots and have fun with the manual features (white balance, non-preset manual program, etc) in other ways?
Old Jan 24, 2007, 5:29 PM   #20

If it were me, I'd put it in auto WB for your kids and shoot raw. Then if the camera really mangles the WB, it's easy to change.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote