Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:56 PM   #1

Well, you people saw me deliberate and deliberate and question and poke and prod. And now....ITS HERE

ok, it might sound hyperdramatic to you, BUT to me, its a landmark day. It just arrived from the U.S. today (from New Jersey to North Carolina, from Fort Bragg to Patch Barracks in Stuttgart to a house in a nearby village to my house!)

And now - first comments? I'm completely overwhelmed. I used an SLR before, but nobody told me just how much more complicated it gets with that teeny tiny 'd' in front of the acronym. I put the batteries in, switched it on, and saw screens and screens of options.

SO, I will have billions of questions - just to forewarn you - but right now i'm just trying to get through the manual.

First question though: do i need to worry about those digital options right now, or should i just focus on 'getting to know' the camera as I would a regular SLR without playing too much with the menus?

MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2007, 3:33 PM   #2

Its going to be a fun time!

Fred
Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 3:47 PM   #3
TDN

Hi, I see you're from Germany.

I have a question: do you know how much import tax you had to pay for the camera? Which shipping company did you use? Thanks

might be good to know when I'm ready to order a K10D...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 4:25 PM   #4

MichelleBuerre wrote:
Quote:
First question though: do i need to worry about those digital options right now, or should i just focus on 'getting to know' the camera as I would a regular SLR without playing too much with the menus?
Hi Michelle

IMHO- just put it in auto and go play. After a Fashion then start playing around with all the settings. Soon You will Be in Full manuel and taking pictures in RAW.

Just My 2 Cents

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:40 PM   #5

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I see you're from Germany.

I have a question: do you know how much import tax you had to pay for the camera? Which shipping company did you use? Thanks

might be good to know when I'm ready to order a K10D...
Oh I think I mentioned this in one of another thread you had posted in but it was a while ago. I had called the government office here, and I believe the import tax (just VAT) was 19% but was scheduled to go to 22% on Jan 1st? I could be wrong with the date, I just know it was going up soon. However, I didn't import the camera, I had it shipped to an American military address here in Germany. (I'm not German, btw, so I don't feel toooo guilty about bypassing customs because i'm not a permanent resident anyways and could have very easily had boughten it before coming here or after leaving here...)

BUT, I used B&H Cameras - highly recommended, and will take international orders (credit cards and shipping). Super fast shipping.

If i were you, call your local customs office in Belgium and ask them how much the tax will be to double check what I just said - and then price the shipping from a place like B&H. Then compare to http://geizhals.at/deutschland/ to see if there's much difference. It seems the more expensive the camera is, the better it is to get it from the U.S. - importation taxes and all.

Fred: Thanks!

BK: Thank you too! I am halfway through the manual and have just been setting up the basics, just figuring out what some of the buttons are for, and ignoring the rest and snapping along the way. It helps me be a little bit patient by the fact that its night time here and I can't go outside around town snapping pics, so I'm forced to slow down and read the manual first! :lol:

MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:51 PM   #6

Reading the manual is good. Reading the manual several times is better. I've found that there are still things I don't quite understand, but some of them are for things I don't do and am not that curious to find out how they work. There are a number of new concepts with digital - like the ability to change the ISO every frame, instead of every roll of film. Understanding white balance is more important with the K100 - the K10's auto white balance setting is better - but is still a good concept to learn early (and figure out how to custom set it).

Biggest thing is to go out and take pictures. Experiment more than you've ever done in the past - there's no charge for developing film any more. Instant review is wonderful - you'll know right away if the camera is set wrong. Have FUN with it!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 8:12 PM   #7

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
Hi Michelle

IMHO- just put it in auto and go play. After a Fashion then start playing around with all the settings. Soon You will Be in Full manuel and taking pictures in RAW.

Just My 2 Cents

BK
I agree completely. ^

By all means....read the manual. But don't be afraid to snap away. It's digital so you arent wasting a thing!
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 8:52 PM   #8

Play! :| Enjoy! :| Have fun! :|Then read the manual.

Steve's review helped me with my decision to buy the K100D, but three weeks after I bought it, Phil Askey's review at DPReview.com came out. Just reading the controls section of that review taught me probably six things about my camera I didn't know. After that I reread Steve's review and the review at imaging-resource.com, with the camera in my lap as I read it, and again I learned things. A whole new use for camera reviews.

Learn white balance. The K100D indoors in low light, without flash, in auto white balance mode, means yellow casting. Custom white balance takes five seconds to set and works perfectly. (Or shoot in RAW... but that adds a lot more than five seconds to your downloading and post-processing time.)

Two setting changes I made sooner rather than later:

1. Bright color mode! Yuck! Way too bright! Like living in a comic book! Where every sentence has an exclamation point! :?

Seriously, natural color mode is much better. This was the first setting change I made. Rec. mode menu, first entry.

2. The ISO warning defaults to *off*. Whose idea was that? It does nothing to your pictures, but gives you a warning icon in the viewfinder if ISO is set above the warning level (which is user-configurable). One day in November, I took half a day's pictures at ISO 1600 because I forgot to reset after low light pictures the night before. After that I looked up the ISO warning and set it to 800 (which means over 800, or 1600+). Custom mode menu, fifth choice down.

Good luck with the move to digital!

--Brett

BrettTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:19 PM   #9

BrettTurner wrote:
Quote:
Play! :| Enjoy! :| Have fun! :|Then read the manual.

Steve's review helped me with my decision to buy the K100D, but three weeks after I bought it, Phil Askey's review at DPReview.com came out. Just reading the controls section of that review taught me probably six things about my camera I didn't know. After that I reread Steve's review and the review at imaging-resource.com, with the camera in my lap as I read it, and again I learned things. A whole new use for camera reviews.

Learn white balance. The K100D indoors in low light, without flash, in auto white balance mode, means yellow casting. Custom white balance takes five seconds to set and works perfectly. (Or shoot in RAW... but that adds a lot more than five seconds to your downloading and post-processing time.)

Two setting changes I made sooner rather than later:

1. Bright color mode! Yuck! Way too bright! Like living in a comic book! Where every sentence has an exclamation point! :?

Seriously, natural color mode is much better. This was the first setting change I made. Rec. mode menu, first entry.

2. The ISO warning defaults to *off*. Whose idea was that? It does nothing to your pictures, but gives you a warning icon in the viewfinder if ISO is set above the warning level (which is user-configurable). One day in November, I took half a day's pictures at ISO 1600 because I forgot to reset after low light pictures the night before. After that I looked up the ISO warning and set it to 800 (which means over 800, or 1600+). Custom mode menu, fifth choice down.

Good luck with the move to digital!

--Brett

i just leave it off. i'll know when to change due to circumstances

roy
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:34 PM   #10

questions??? there's a lot of talent here that is willing and able to answer them..

Michelle = male/female ???
where i grew up Michelle was predominately male..

congrats on your acquisition and welcome to the board..

roy

MichelleBuerre wrote:
Quote:
Well, you people saw me deliberate and deliberate and question and poke and prod. And now....ITS HERE

ok, it might sound hyperdramatic to you, BUT to me, its a landmark day. It just arrived from the U.S. today (from New Jersey to North Carolina, from Fort Bragg to Patch Barracks in Stuttgart to a house in a nearby village to my house!)

And now - first comments? I'm completely overwhelmed. I used an SLR before, but nobody told me just how much more complicated it gets with that teeny tiny 'd' in front of the acronym. I put the batteries in, switched it on, and saw screens and screens of options.

SO, I will have billions of questions - just to forewarn you - but right now i'm just trying to get through the manual.