Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:29 PM   #1

I'm looking at the Cokin P series filter system ... and I'm looking at holders.

I thought initially a P Series holder was a P Series holder, but now that I'm looking at them on the web I see several choices.

I saw aBP700A, a BPW700, a B081A, and a few others that say "P" series. I'm a little cornfused.

Some say they're for wide angle, others not -- but all say "P" series.

Question is -- if I have a "P" series ring, will any of these work? Would it be smarter to get one that claims its better for wider angle lenses (in case I should ever decide to buy a wide angle lens?). Right now my lenses are 52 and 62 mm in diameter, which is why I'm looking at "P" series in the first place.

Just need a little advice on the filter holders.

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,

Phil
philmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:59 PM   #2

I have Cokin P Series filter holders (2 of them). The holder attaches to the ring that is sized for your lens filter size. Example: if you have a 72mm filter size you would use a 72 mm ring for the Cokin P Series holder, if you have a 58 mm filter you would use a 58 mm ring for the Cokin P Series holder.

The filters are the same size, the rings that screw into your filter rings on your lens are sized for your lens but hold the P Series holder. They just slide on and off. You can find cheap ring sets so you can keep the rings on your lens and change the filter holder from lens to lens.

The filters are the same size rectangles that fit into the holders. Make sure when you buy filters you buy the correct P Series Filters. the Cokin A Series filters are not large enough to cover most wide angle and tele lenses so the P Series is the way to go.

Another tip.. Don't get suckered into buying the cheap plastic filters off EBay. Go for the real Cokin filters or better. The cheap sets of filters work, but scratch too easily and are harder to keep clean, and I think they reduce the sharpness of the leans. Any filter you put in-front of the lens usually reduces sharpness, the the cheap plastic ones really kill a good picture sometimes. But they are great to learn with.

If you do landscape photography, a good set of Cokin filters are wonderful tools. A few starter filters to go for: Graduated Neutral Density (ND), Split ND, and at least 1 or 2 regular ND filters. I also like to use a graduated tobacco filter to add a little old time look in some pictures. Also a Warming filter is a good one to grab too... They're fun, but sometimes a hassle to drag along... You'll have your favorite one or two that you won't live without. Enjoy...
mountainmandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:51 AM   #3

I guess my question is will any P-series holder hold any P-Series filter and attach to any P-Series ring?

That's what I would think except I see more than one model of P-Series holder... and one of them says it's better for wider angle lenses.

My hunch is that any P-Series holder will do for me -- although I may want to get a wide-angle lens someday so perhaps I should go for the one that says it's better for them (I suppose maybe it stays out of the way better, I don't know) -- anyway, that's where my confusion lies.

Ha. Funny you should mention the cheap ebay ones, because I bought a set of 3 and now that you mention it they probably are cheap plastic ones. Never occurred to me they might be plastic. Oh well. Guess I'll have to handle them carefully.It's a set of 3 ND's ... a 2, a 4, and an 8. Like you said I can play with them and if I don't like them I can replace just the ones I want.

Anyway, back to the question above -- will any P-series holder work with any other P-Series component?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:05 AM   #4

Yes... All the P Series filters are the same width so they all will fit in the P series holders.

That set of ND's you have is a good start. But handle them carefully. The split ND's and Graduated ND's are great for landscape at sunrise or sunset when you want the color in the sky, but also need the light on the landscape. So look for one of those.

I think you're good with any P Series holder if you have one already...
mountainmandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:33 AM   #5

No, I'm about to order one (a holder). I'm also getting the universal ring adaptor so that I have less stuff to keep track of. I'm good at losing things.

I also plan to get a graduated one, mostly to prevent blowout at sunrise/sunset.

Thanks!