Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:39 AM   #1

Finally able to spend a little time experimenting with some fairsuccess (IMHO only).

Never noticed a gulls landing techniques before I reviewed the photos for the day.

Next time I'll pay more attention to the reflections and not cut part of them out

I studied all the info from the session with with gulls and I guess something finally clicked and I tried using ap again in this scene leaving the nature preserve

You can view the full size here. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to resize to post to best advantage here.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/182/3...e82aa8c4_b.jpg

Thanks for looking, and as always, comments and critiques welcome.

Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2007, 1:10 AM   #2

These are all great shots actually. Where did you take these pics?
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 3:08 AM   #3

nice shots, I got my doubts about nr1, that the seagull wasn't just landing. Maybe fit was trying to catch something, otherwise it's in bad need of glasses.

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:18 AM   #4

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
nice shots, I got my doubts about nr1, that the seagull wasn't just landing. Maybe fit was trying to catch something, otherwise it's in bad need of glasses.

Ronny
nice shoots maw.
i agree with ron, gulls do not land that way unless-- I'm Hungry..
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:40 AM   #5

Thanks Royce for looking and the nice comment. The gull shots were taken at Kissack Bay on Lake Isabella. The last shot was on the Kern RiverValley Nature Preserve located along the South Fork of the Kern River close to where it flows into the lake. For anyone not familiar the the more remote locales in California, if you follow I-5 north from Los Angeles you'll pass mtgals turnoff and go to Bakersfield. The Lake Isabella, Kernville area is east of Bakersfield in the lower levels of the Sierra Nevada mountain range.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:45 AM   #6

I too think the gull was fishing, not doing a crash landing. Sounds like a great place to take some photos.

Nice job.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:50 AM   #7

Re:

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
..........that the seagull wasn't just landing. Maybe fit was trying to catch something, otherwise it's in bad need of glasses.

Ronny

lol..... aftertaking another look at the splash I have to agree...

Thank you for the compliment.....
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:03 AM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
rhermans wrote:
Quote:

Ronny
nice shoots maw.
i agree with ron, gulls do not land that way unless-- I'm Hungry..

Thank you Roy. I think not only hungry but very greedy
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:24 AM   #9

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I too think the gull was fishing, not doing a crash landing. Sounds like a great place to take some photos.

Nice job.

Tom
Thank you Tom.

Now that I'm looking for the photo ops they just keep getting better and better. Hopefully so will my skills. I had been having problems with getting good exposure outdoors so I bit the bullet and set the camera to the action preset for the gulls so I could study the info and histogram. I did however set the camera back to ap priority later in the day and after a little experimenting felt that I got satisfactory results on the nature preserve road.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 3:56 PM   #10

Love the first one - I always think of gulls as being so graceful, not making a big splash like that.

Your point on the second one is also well made - how often have I've gotten home only to see some really cool reflection that I missed. Someone once told me to look at all corners and edges before taking a picture, but so often I don't do that - get concentrating too much on my subject.

And I love the last one - so typical for your area. Very restful, like some place I want to visit. I think you've started to get a better understanding of how to make the most of the camera (all cameras take some time to figure out - I'm still haven't got the K10 as figured out as I would like).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote