Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:56 AM   #11

" (2-10 seconds after the shutter closes) to start writing the image to the card"

Something I hadn't picked up on in your OP

That seems sort of weird even for the lesser 100D

Are you sure its actual writing or just when finally displayed?

Though again I suspect Pentax just wanted to slide that camera in under the C&N radar... for 6MP a very nice camera but definately the not too spectacular test bed to see if worth the investment to produce already planed ready for production (but much more costly) K10D they really intended in the first place.

And they even put out the 110D just to figure out if it was just the IS that was selling.
Yes but... I think even to their surprise no it was the whole package.

Likely soon you will see a lot of 110D's out there cheap on Ebay....Not that the IS was EVERYTHING.... but the whole backage is ..... I don't believe I am even saying this word because it was so cleche when not really ment.... but the K10Dis just plain AWESOME.... 100D had to be the low cost trial ballon so be it.... sure snuck under the C&N's radar though didn't it!!!.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:11 PM   #12

yes, using noise reduction doubles the amount of lag time after each shot.

if you take a 30sec capture, the camera will process a 30sec black image overlay on top of the shot you just took to reduce noise
plagued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:29 PM   #13

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
...sure snuck under the C&N's radar though didn't it!!!.
I don't think it snuck under their radar... I think that Canon & Nikon dominate so much of the market to the point that they don't care. I love my Pentax camera, but let's get serious here... I don't see Pentax taking over the market from Canon & Nikon due to this in-camera stabilization or their price. I see them getting their foot into the market, but when it comes down to it, who has the money? How much Pentax advertising do you see in non-photomagazines? or even photography-based magazines? Advertising essentially buys customers... Customers buy what they see in the magazines oron the sidelines at the football, basketball, etc games and what is that? Canon and Nikon? Why do you think Canon made their "L" series lenses with that white finish that can be spotted from the nose-bleed section, across the field from the photographer? It's simply more advertising. Until Pentax can find a spot in magazines, sporting events, etc they will not take over the market.

Just my $0.02... Pentax made a breakthrough... Yes, it might change how the competitors make their cameras... but I don't think it will change what the pros are buying.

This isn't the first time Pentax has made a breakthrough though, the truth is... the smaller guys come up with it (Pentax)and the big guys take it over (Canon and Nikon).

::Steps down from soapbox::
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 3:14 PM   #14

Finally had the chance to check the camera settings. The noise reduction was indeed turned on.

Bluwing: Just for the record, I wasn't worried about how long the camera was taking to write long exposures, or the 'noises' the camera makes either. Rather I just wanted to ensure that everything was functioning correctly in my new camera, before the 14 day exchange period was up. The K100 is my first DSLR, and is quite the leap from my A70, so I had nothing to compare it to. As for Homeland Security being after me, do you know something I don't? :shock:

Chris
silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 1:00 AM   #15

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Hayward wrote:
Quote:
...sure snuck under the C&N's radar though didn't it!!!.
I don't think it snuck under their radar... I think that Canon & Nikon dominate so much of the market to the point that they don't care. I love my Pentax camera, but let's get serious here... I don't see Pentax taking over the market from Canon & Nikon due to this in-camera stabilization or their price.
This isn't the first time Pentax has made a breakthrough though, the truth is... the smaller guys come up with it (Pentax)and the big guys take it over (Canon and Nikon).

::Steps down from soapbox::
No actualy on the low end I think you are very WRONG with the K10D (and even 100D vs Rebe)... Anything below (speaking just Canon here not familiar enough with Nikon Models)

May never be in the 5D or 1D Mark whatevers.... but for the Rebel ESPECIALLY (if 100Dupped to like MP) and even the 10/20/30 maybe ever 40D's yeah they have something to worry about there.

The 5 D and 1D'er may be willing to pay $$$$ PER LENS for the Lens IS.... but again NOT the REBELERS or even the x0'ers I don't think.... when it does so darn well.... and can C or N duplicate it without patent infringing??.... another potentially BIG question.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 12:47 PM   #16

I did a internet search and the this seemed to be one of the few posts, anywhere, that mention the "strange noise" the K100D makes when set for long exposures.

I live in the UK and sent the camera in for repair because this noise didn't start (or at least I didn't notice it) until about 5 months after I had the camera. They sent the camera back to me stating no trouble found. I then drove to the repair center and was fortunate enough to catch one of the techs out in the lobby as I arrived. His comment to me was that the camera works (takes pictures without a problem), he thinks its the shake reduction that makes the strange noise. He also said that he has requested information/confirmation from Japan on the nature of this issue but has not had any feed back yet as to if this is a problem or just "normal" behavior". He also added that he tried 6 other K100Ds they had in house and they all did this. And he admitted it was a "strange noise" for this type of product to be making and understood why after shelling out 700 USD I would be concerned. He took my contact info and said he would let me know if he gets anything back from Japan.

Does anyone really know if this is a problem or not? This = the really strange noise the camera makes when taking pictures with long exposures. I don't have a 14 day return policy, but I do have a 1 year warranty. My luck usually is if this is a problem, it won't really break until 1 day after the warranty expires.....

I would appreciate any information or details anyone else can provide on the strange noise problem.

Thanks
rjschaeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 5:22 PM   #17

rj,

Thanks for the follow-up on the noise issue. Hopefully you can get a definite answer from Pentax on wether this noise is normal or not. I will keep an eye on this thread.

Chris
silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 6:33 PM   #18

There's a night photo Id like to take tomorrow morning (get up at 4 am) - do you know what shutter speed you had when you hear the funny noises? I've never heard anything like that with my K100, but I take so few long shutter speed pictures, I don't really know. I'll make a point of using a shutter speed you know you have a problem with and see what mine does.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 6:42 PM   #19

mine makes that strange noise too. i just figured it was the shake reduction so i did not even think about it .

the reason i assumed it was the shake reductions was because it got my k100d for christmas and the guy at the store gave my hubby the k110d by mistake and that one did not have the strange noise. so when we exchanged it for the right camera i noticed the noise so i assumed it was the SR.

julianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 10:19 AM   #20

interesting discussion to someone who's thinking about upgrading to k100 or k10.

will throw into the mix that my dl has the same time lag with long shutter speeds but no strange noises (w/noise reduction on as mentioned).

only time the wait was an issue was when taking pics of N. lights this fall on one of the first cold nights (it was something like -10 C). wasn't wearing enough coats and the lights weren't that great, but the better displays seemed to always come during the processing time!

all the best, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote