Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 7, 2007, 3:15 PM   #21

Now that I know about it I hear it on about 1/60 down. But when I first heard it I was taking night shots and set to about 1 to 6 second exposure.
rjschaeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:57 PM   #22

I noticed the 'sound' (I think noise is the wrong word if it is normal) when doing 1-2 second exposures.

On a related note, does anyone know at what exposure length the noise reduction system kicks in? I perused the manual, but it seems pretty brief in its coverage of the NR setting. It certainly seems to work. I have not seen any 'hot' pixels on any of my long exposure photos. Of course I haven't taken any long exposure shots with NR off for comparison!

Chris
silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 7:57 AM   #23

Is the "sound" everyone talking about a very soft "whirr" type of thing? If so, my K100 makes it - I think it is whatever keeps the mirror locked up because I hear it no matter if the SR is on or not, and I also hear it when I have the mirror locked up, blowing out dust. I think it's completely normal and have never paid any attention to it before (and probably won't again - it is very soft and I don't have to have complete silence when I'm shooting anyway).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:48 AM   #24

I would not describe it as a whirring sound. More like a scratchy electronic sound.

I asked my wife to get an objective opinion because she could honestly care less. She says it sounds like a hand held electronic game, the cheap ones, but much quieter.

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I'll wait to see if Pentax ever comes back with anything or until something breaks. It just doesn't sound right. A better answer from their service department besides "we tried 6 or 7 of them that we have here and they all do it" might put me at ease.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:36 PM   #25

Mtngal,

I noticed the same thing while blowing a dust spot off the sensor. The camera makes the same sound while in sensor cleaning mode. The sound is most likely related to the mirror lockup or the shutter curtain. I'm wondering if the mirror lockup is not mechanical, but electronic, hence the noise? The sound is possibly the noise of a small, insufficiently noise-dampedmotor holding the mirror up. As you said, since it doesn't seem to be a problem, I'm not worrying much about it. The more I use the camera, the less I seem to notice it.

Chris
silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 1:08 PM   #26

Unfortunately the more I used the camera the more I heard it.

So I went down to the local shop today and asked them if I could try their demo model. To my surprise it did the exact same thing. I think mine might be a bit louder but that may just be paranoia.

If this is in fact just insufficiently damped or insulated motor I would hope they made improvements on the K10. Shell out close to a 1000 USD to have the camera make sounds that have not been explained would be upsetting. Ok, it was upsetting after spending about 700 USD.

I was convinced something was wrong.....mainly because it took me 5 months to notice it.

So with that I will drop the issue. Maybe Pentax will come back with a detailed explanation of what the camera is doing. That would be nice.

Thanks for the feedback/input from everyone.

If I do get any information from Pentax I will post it here.

Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:58 AM   #27

awjweb wrote:
Quote:
I have experienced the exact same thing with my istDS. When I take night shots on the tripod with very slow speeds (e.g 30-45 seconds) the write to the card seems to be same as the shutter speed. 15 seconds writes for 15 seconds after the shutter closes. I don't think I was using noise reduction, however I don't recall.
Someone else touched on this subject in a post a few years ago.

I took this to an extreme last night with my K10D. I was attempting (unsuccessfully) to photograph the Perseid meteor shower using some tips that I got on the internet. I used the bulb and left the shutter open for around 5 minutes. Lo and behold, the camera took about 5 minutes to process the shot. So, it's probably not actually write time, but processing time.

The camera is completely locked up during this time and you cannot do anything with it. I wasn't expecting this (as I had not heard about it before), and as you may expect, I panicked, thinking there was something wrong with the camera. After a few attempts though, I realized what it was doing.

(I got some nice star shots, but no meteors in the frames. Maybe next time........)
PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote