Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 23, 2007, 5:35 PM   #1

I was doing shooting some ince sculptures last night, and found that when shooting slow shutter speeds, the camera is very slow (2-10 seconds after the shutter closes) to start writing the image to the card and display it on the LCD. Is this normal for the K100? And are all those strange noises that the camera makes during long exposures really normal?

Chris
silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2007, 5:56 PM   #2

You've probably got noise reduction on, this works on long exposures by taking a second dark shot at the same shutter speed so that hot pixels and noise can be subtracted from the first shot. So it takes longer. Switch off NR if you want quicker shots.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:07 AM   #3

Interesting to know that is one of the issuess that are out there and while already had a 6MP orig Canon Rebel...OK so K100D was interesting... but LEAPT on the K10Das soon as it was available..

K10D even in highest JPG res you can just hold that shutter down until you run out of memory (I think even RAW is like 12 frames before it slows.... and even then you are still going like 1 FPS or better.

The 100 is the cheap (BUT STILL IMPRESSIVE) shot.... if IS is involved....... then again the K10D is what the painfully basicDSLR's were going for under a couple of years ago...

Was that $200 THAT IMPORTANT?..... BELIEVE ME.... disappionted with the 100.... couple of hundred more the K10D would be blowing your SOX OFF... I use mine DAILY and its still ASTOUNDS me.... with heck its no cost digital.... so just snap yet that casual AMAZING results.

And interesting to (judging by this thread) how DIVERGENT the K100 and K10 are and for historically MODERATE cost difference.

Nope the K10Disamazing ESPECIALLY for the cost.... NoW Pentaxneed to CHARGE the Canon and Nikon !'s.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:35 AM   #4

Think Steve is correct about the noise reduction,

what the noise (sound) concerns ... if it's a hight pitched sound it could be that you hear the electromotors trying to keep the sensor steady, somebody stated on a forum that he could hear that. I'm to deaf to hear it so...

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:54 AM   #5

SteveB wrote:
Quote:
You've probably got noise reduction on, this works on long exposures by taking a second dark shot at the same shutter speed so that hot pixels and noise can be subtracted from the first shot. So it takes longer. Switch off NR if you want quicker shots.
Thanks Steve. About 30 minutes after I posted I had a 'Eureka!' moment, and realized it was probably the noise reduction, although I'm not sure. You can hear the mirror move back into position after the first shot, but then there is no further shutter noise before the camera writes to the card. I may drop into the camera store this week and compare the demo model to mine.

Hayward. Thanks for making your opinion of the K100abundantly clear. You might be interested in knowing that in Canada the price difference is not $200. Not even close. I bought a K100 with the 2 lens kitfor $150 less than the price of a K10 body alone.

Chris
silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:39 PM   #6

I have experienced the exact same thing with my istDS. When I take night shots on the tripod with very slow speeds (e.g 30-45 seconds) the write to the card seems to be same as the shutter speed. 15 seconds writes for 15 seconds after the shutter closes. I don't think I was using noise reduction, however I don't recall.
awjweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:50 AM   #7

"Interesting to know that is one of the issuess that are out there and while already had a 6MP orig Canon Rebel...OK so K100D was interesting... but LEAPT on the K10Das soon as it was available..

K10D even in highest JPG res you can just hold that shutter down until you run out of memory (I think even RAW is like 12 frames before it slows.... and even then you are still going like 1 FPS or better."

However I have noticed this myself on the K10D IT IS LONGER BUT STILL NOT A SPEED ISSUE SAVE WISE (even with a standad speed SD card).... THE BUFFER IS BIG ENOUGH... BUT YES 800 AND 1600 ISO shots can take slightly longer to save.... but again..... just hold down the shutter in continuos even in 800 or 1600 JPG you should't have a problem image speed shot but running out of memory sooner or later.

Now I have not had hands on with the K100D.... and I am sure not the 10D you can't overun this camera in highest res JPG before you run out of memory it has, but is it really slowing you down?

As in can't even take another shot?
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:06 AM   #8

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
"Interesting to know that is one of the issuess that are out there and while already had a 6MP orig Canon Rebel...OK so K100D was interesting... but LEAPT on the K10Das soon as it was available..

K10D even in highest JPG res you can just hold that shutter down until you run out of memory (I think even RAW is like 12 frames before it slows.... and even then you are still going like 1 FPS or better."

However I have noticed this myself on the K10D IT IS LONGER BUT STILL NOT A SPEED ISSUE SAVE WISE (even with a standad speed SD card).... THE BUFFER IS BIG ENOUGH... BUT YES 800 AND 1600 ISO shots can take slightly longer to save.... but again..... just hold down the shutter in continuos even in 800 or 1600 JPG you should't have a problem image speed shot but running out of memory sooner or later.

Now I have not had hands on with the K100D.... and I am sure not the 10D you can't overun this camera in highest res JPG before you run out of memory it has, but is it really slowing you down?

As in can't even take another shot?
Two different subjects here... He is not asking about SHOTS IN BURST. He's asking aboutSLOW SHUTTER SPEEDS. Try taking a 30 second exposure with your K10 and let us know how it does writing to the card. I am interested, because like the K100 here, my camera also take a while writing to the card after a long exposure. I'd be interested to see if Pentaxaddressed this issue in the K10 or not. Thanks.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:44 AM   #9

Hi,

Any camera takes longer to write the information to the card when you increase the length of exposure. It is not aproblem and is not film. Why do people worry so much about how long it takes to write to the card? Is Homeland sercurity after you??? :? LOL!!!!!

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:50 AM   #10

And again what I was trying to get at in JPG you just CAN NOT over run the buffer on the K10D even with a standard SD card.....

Though yes LONG/high ISO exposures do take longer to save..... and tried to ask.... a matter of notice as I do.... or stopping them from taking another shot.... a VERY different MATTER..... I have had no hands on with the K100D... so trying to determine that.