Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:28 PM   #1

Hi all,

I'm new here and just own K100D camera since Xmas. My husband brought this camera for me to shootour baby-to-be. I love the camera and practicing it. I just wonder what kind of extra lens to buy for indoor and moving subject? (I'm not really good with lens terminology) :?. I saw Royce's pics with his pentax smc-f 500 f/1.7 lens and I likethose picsbut I couldn't find it anywhere except ebay. My problem is my husband doesn't trust ebay's items on electronic, he would said he rather pay little higher to get new items instead of used (he paid $192 for a new Signa 70-300mm apo dg marco lens instead bidding onebay for used $150!, Hey Royce, I finally ordered your signa lens, and it's on the way to my place soon).

Anyway, if anyone have any good experience with indoor lens for my purpose (just a loving mom would like to capture all of her baby activities), please give me some suggestions.:idea:

Many thanks in advance.

Violette

Violette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:04 PM   #2

Violette

Welcome to the Forum.
One very Good lense For indoor use Would be the Pentax FA 50MM 1.4. There are others But i believe this is the most popular.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 3:27 PM   #3

Violette,

Welcome to the forum. I agree with BK. Since you will be able to get very close to your little one you don't need a long lens or a zoom. That 50mm he mentioned would be perfect. It lets in a lot of light and is sharp as a tack. You will be able to get really good available light pictures that are a lot less harsh than ones you would take with a flash.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 3:48 PM   #4

Thanks BK and Glenn,

I check and most of stores are out of stock. I will keep looking.

Thanks again.

Violette
Violette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 4:21 PM   #5

I also say FA 50 mm 1.4. Order it and wait till you get it, it's worth waiting for.

Kjell

Sample, my neighbour:
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 5:33 PM   #6

I bought a lightly used Pentax FA 50MM 1.4 on ebay for around $200. It is a great lens. At f4.0 and above this lense is a amazingly sharp. However, images are prettysoft below f2.8 which is how you would probably use it indoors. It's a nice softness though. The main thing to keep in mind is thatbelow f2.8 the depth of field for any lens is extremely narrow. At f1.4 for portrait distances of a few feet the depth of field is certainly less than an inch so proper focus is critical.Therefore if your subject's nose is in focus their eyes will be out of focus. Thisnarrow DOF makes for some beautiful photos if the focus is correct. I usually have to take three or four shots to get one good one if I'm using those wide open aperature settings. If you are interested in some example photos let me know.
awjweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:13 PM   #7

awjweb wrote:
Quote:
I bought a lightly used Pentax FA 50MM 1.4 on ebay for around $200. It is a great lens. At f4.0 and above this lense is a amazingly sharp. However, images are prettysoft below f2.8 which is how you would probably use it indoors. It's a nice softness though. The main thing to keep in mind is thatbelow f2.8 the depth of field for any lens is extremely narrow. At f1.4 for portrait distances of a few feet the depth of field is certainly less than an inch so proper focus is critical.Therefore if your subject's nose is in focus their eyes will be out of focus. Thisnarrow DOF makes for some beautiful photos if the focus is correct. I usually have to take three or four shots to get one good one if I'm using those wide open aperature settings. If you are interested in some example photos let me know.
It is not exactly the sharpest shot. But at F1.7 and iso1600, FA50mm1.4 really shines

http://www.pbase.com/image/73506769/original

The attached is a F2 portrait. Only resizing is done.No pp at all

Daniel
Attached Images

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:43 PM   #8

I purchased the SIGMA 28mm 1.8 EX DG for this purpose for $245 US. Looks to be a keeper at this point. I like the FOV much better than the SMC-F 50mm 1.7 and the color seems more accurate. It is large with the 77mm filter size, but fits the K10D nicely. It also has a very nice minimum focus distance. I will post some images in the future.
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:30 PM   #9

any of the f1.4-1.7/8 will work fine. i'd really suggest getting a f1.4 if you can.
95% of all my gear came off of ebay. never had a bad experience buying or selling..
Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:45 PM   #10

Personally I would get the 50mm f/1.7 since it is less expensive and sharp wide open. I have the F (auto focus) and the A (manual focus) and they are both extremely sharp lenses.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote