Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:06 PM   #1

And OK only a 1.5 but with the sensor factor on top turns my Sigma 70-300mm into a 150- 700mm..... and fully zoomed without IS and the loss of 1.5 F stops.... NOT a chance... but hey.... and only first day... with DOG in tow tugging at me me while trying to shoot THIS???

PS GREAT BARGAIN the $60 Tameron 1.5x extender.... vs the Petax and other like $200 EXTENDERS. Very good reviews even on that other D review site

And actually this would have been better but I think the camera decided to focus on the bouy and not the sun... let alone the (BIG muscular 85lbs) dog factor.... but not enough time to reshoot.

But for hand held 300MM x 1.5 tele with 1.5 crop or 700mm?

(And this image only 640x480 rather basic Irfanview reduction)

Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:22 AM   #2

Hi Hayward,

I really like the color of the sky. Thank you for sharing..

Bev
Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:51 AM   #3

Hi Hayward,

FYI, your calculations are a bit off. With a 1.5x extender, it's 300x1.5 (for the TC)x1.5 (for the crop factor) will give you @675mm 35mm EQ FL, and you don't lose 1.5 stops of effective aperture, you only lose @1 stop (multiply the lens f-stop by the magnification factor of the TC) -- f5.6 becomes f8.4 effective (@ 1 1/8 stops).

That, of course, doesn't negate the spirit of your post tho -- handholding a 675mm EQ lens at 1/350 for a distant shot is still pretty good (especially with the dog), and I enjoy the enthusiasm for your new camera that you're showing in your posts.:-)

Keep up the good work.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:04 AM   #4

OK so I rounded off a little..... blame it on the dog

And somehow managed to hit the 9 and 0 together..... I ment 700mm not 790mm
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:05 AM   #5

Very cool shot. Try moving the boat and sun out of the center and see how it looks. But either way its a wonderful photo.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:24 AM   #6

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Very cool shot. Try moving the boat and sun out of the center and see how it looks. But either way its a wonderful photo.

Glenn
Again the real problem was the camera decided to focus on the bouy... note the forground water is sharp too.... sort of a first 10D disappointment.... it shoulldn't have being in multipoint AF done more the background... but some how did pick the closest object rather than overall shot.

Not had the leashed 85 lb dog tugging at or standing in front of me (I was sitting on a 2 ft stool and a 2 ft shelf he was on in front of me much of the time).... would have gotten off a second shot before too late.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 6:13 AM   #7

you're right, no time for a second shot. try spot or center focusing. this would have been great otherwise.

roy
Old Jan 25, 2007, 6:17 AM   #8

Hi Hayward,

Another Kodak Moment.... :|You got to get a smaller dog..... LOL. Are you using auto on the focus points? Switch to using the center one if you are.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:14 AM   #9

I still like this shot, even if the camera did pick a different point to focus on. I tend to leave my camera at center focus just because that's what I'm used to, and I can always lock focus then recompose. It's amazing that you got it under the circumstances at all!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:22 AM   #10

And again the FIRST day with the new toy (extenter) PURE experimentaion plus the dog factor... and that sun APPEARED AT ALL.... you had to be paying attention.... that is SOLID cloud just above the stripe at the top of the sun..... There for maybe 2-3 min many had propably written it off and already left.... after 13 years here I knew better.... might still happen... and sure as shoot it DID..