Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:38 AM   #11

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Look at the professional models from Canon and Nikon and notice that they are actually not very feature rich, because many professionals want it that way.
Ira
Of course you are missing what i mean by feature RICH.....

Not sepia tone BS or effect crap like that...... I MEAN FUNCTIONALLY RICH

Ant the K10Di is all that......

Exposure features no one else has..... and some very PRACTICAL like sweet spot (mid F's for sharpnes) P mode bias, and with the internal IS... shutterr speed to compensate for that not even a MAJOR issue. Or combined AV and TV.... the list just goes on......

And not $300 extra JUST for that lens JUST IS for any lens you through on it.... even an antique manual.

Just admit it they snuck unnder the C & N radar with the 100D test bed .... and as much as BOTH Canon an d Nikon promise the users the world but rarely if EVER deliver..... PENTAX did EXACTLY THAT AND MORE with the K10D

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:46 AM   #12

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Why would C and N give up the millions of dollars they make on their IS/VR lenses and put the process in the camera bodies?

They have no interest in in body SR!

Tom
Yup and NO ONE but pros that make the money to pay through the nose (and then some) will have any interest in them either,.... you really thinK CANON AND NIKON WANT THAT TO BE THEIR ONLY SLR MARKET???

Survey says...........................WRONG..

Canon is making plenty of nickels off the REBEL...BUT no more after the 100 and K10D if all they are going to do is sit on their laurals..... hell I and many others have DITCHED at some cost Canon because the Pentax K10D is just currently so beyond compare.

And likely none did for the K100D trial ballon.... but when (again Canon and Nikon NEVER do) the K10D actually lived up to promise ON TIME even and already updated a month or so out .... MUTINY on the Canon. is a surprise? (And the LONG rumored 40D is WHERE???... let alone even WHAT)
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:18 AM   #13

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Canon in the ad has been trying to defend in-lens I S for its tech superiority. Not much they can do now as they cannot go back to in-body IS given millions of I S lens have been around - a great cash cow for Canon. It is pretty lame now that a lot of Nikon/Canon users question that.
T
Daniel
The hell thay CAN'T.... for the anal THAT BELIVE LENS IS is GOD.... SO BE IT......

bUT AS i HAVE POINTED OUT WITH THE RIGHT ADAPTER I CAN PUT ANY LENS is LENS ON MY PENTAX just turn off the internal so they don't fight each other.....

Can Canon or Nikon say that..... that would be an OBVIOUS NO!!!!! Just give us an extra $300 on every lens you buy.... thak youy very much :evil:

Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:53 AM   #14

someone posed this question/topic over on dpreview and this was my thought:

yeah, c&n will give in, but they won't stop making IS lenses. they will stop making non-IS lenses, or make their very best lenses (i.e. the f2.8 constant ap zooms) as IS only; that will immediately make the aftermarket for the Non-IS lenses skyrocket, until prices settle somewhere in the middle. At that point, they can discontinue the IS lenses as their current customers won't be upset over lost value. i just can't see them completely jumping ship, that would upset alot of people.

maybe they will work on a system that incorporates the IS lenses with inbody SR to make even better compensation, but allowing the inbody SR to function to a lesser degree too.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:34 PM   #15

(My Opinion)

I don't think it snuck under their radar... I think that Canon & Nikon dominate so much of the market to the point that they don't care. I love my Pentax camera, but let's get serious here... I don't see Pentax taking over the market from Canon & Nikon due to this in-camera stabilization or their price. I see them getting their foot into the market, but when it comes down to it, who has the money? How much Pentax advertising do you see in non-photomagazines? or even photography-based magazines? Advertising essentially buys customers... Customers buy what they see in the magazines oron the sidelines at the football, basketball, etc games and what is that? Canon and Nikon? Why do you think Canon made their "L" series lenses with that white finish that can be spotted from the nose-bleed section, across the field from the photographer? It's simply more advertising. Until Pentax can find a spot in magazines, sporting events, etc they will not take over the market.

Just my $0.02... Pentax made a breakthrough... Yes, it might change how the competitors make their cameras... but I don't think it will change what the pros are buying.

This isn't the first time Pentax has made a breakthrough though, the truth is... the smaller guys come up with it (Pentax)and the big guys take it over (Canon and Nikon).

::Steps down from soapbox::
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:22 PM   #16

Based on the history of Pentax, I don't think they are concerned about bumping Canon and Nikon from their positions. They have always been about making a good product, whether it be cameras or lenses. They are never flashy, just good, solid equipment at a reasonable price. My son has the Nikon D50 and loves it. I'm glad for him. But I am more glad for me because I spent $250 less and got a camera (DL)that takes picturesof equal quality tohis. Besides this we have to admit that Nikon and Canon make good stuff, its just over hyped and over priced!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:25 PM   #17

while the in-lens SR is selling for 2x/3x the price of a regular lens, people are still buying them. C&N wont fix something that isnt broken.
plagued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:28 PM   #18

I have feeling that the fading profits in digital camera sales may do more damage to the players, especially the ones without big bags of money to stay in the game.

http://in.tech.yahoo.com/041119/137/2hz4h.html
http://digitalphotopro.com/articles/.../roadahead.php
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:51 PM   #19

Hi Peter,

Never beleive everything you read in magazines,Internet and Ads. They are just one persons opinion. 90% of the time their information is wrong or never come true.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 2:05 PM   #20

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
That piddling Clark Kent K100D just test bed that went into orbit wasn't a CLUE????
Ah, Hayward. Never missing the chance to bash the K100D.

Quote:
Also, there is a thing called "comps" or compensation for the sales people.

How many times have the sales people, without being prompted, offered Pentax as a purchase alternative, say at the Ritz or Wolf cameras? In my experience, not very often... come to think of it .... never.
When I was shopping for my camera I had narrowed my choice to the the D40, D50, and K100D. When I went to my local high-end camera shop to look at these three bodies, the salesman asked me what I was looking for. I told him I was interested in these models. He immediately (without prompting) said that the K100D was the best value available in a DSLR. He also pulled out a 12"x20" or so print that was made from a 6 megapixel image, and told me that most people who buy 10 megapixel cameras were wasting money buying 'numbers'. I knew I was in the right store! The look we got from the guy standing next to me was priceless. He was looking to buy a Nikon, and his sole criteria to choose between the D80 and D200 was 'I want the more expensive one'. This guy was a salesmans dream! He wants a $1500 body, but the salesman has to explain what 'megapixels' mean. Proof that Nikon and Canon have nothing to fear from ANY competitors.

silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote