Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 25, 2007, 3:49 PM   #21

silverstone wrote:
Quote:
When I was shopping for my camera I had narrowed my choice to the the D40, D50, and K100D. When I went to my local high-end camera shop to look at these three bodies, the salesman asked me what I was looking for. I told him I was interested in these models. He immediately (without prompting) said that the K100D was the best value available in a DSLR. He also pulled out a 12"x20" or so print that was made from a 6 megapixel image, and told me that most people who buy 10 megapixel cameras were wasting money buying 'numbers'. I knew I was in the right store! The look we got from the guy standing next to me was priceless. He was looking to buy a Nikon, and his sole criteria to choose between the D80 and D200 was 'I want the more expensive one'. This guy was a salesmans dream! He wants a $1500 body, but the salesman has to explain what 'megapixels' mean. Proof that Nikon and Canon have nothing to fear from ANY competitors.
That is nice to hear but I am afraid that the saleman you quoted is a very rare exception in the real world. Salesman pushs for higher sales .

Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 4:03 PM   #22

I had an interesting thing happen to me in a camera store in Freiburg, Germany. I walked into a camera store after just getting my DL. I was looking in the case at the various Canon, Nikon and Pentax lenses and the sales woman comes up and tells me to go with Pentax! She said, "better camera, better price! She had no idea I already had!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:26 PM   #23

It is good the hear that there are good camera sales people still around!! :|
thepusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:39 PM   #24
TDN

What do you have against Canon and Nikon? I think they make great cameras! I'm just happy with my Pentax.

What I'm trying to say is that although it's ok to be enthousiast, there's no need to get extreme and mock other cameras. I say this because it's statements like that that attract the worst kind of people, trolls from the other camp. Threads like this are a feeding ground for them to start endless, pointless discussions about which camera manufacturer has the fewest noise at friggin' ISO 1600 and other things.

However, it's a free world (mostly), so who am I to tell you what to do right?

It's just an advice...be enthousiast, but don't provoke the enthousiasts from the competition

regards,
Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 6:31 PM   #25

The final reason I chose Pentax was the bottom line-pure and simple. It was 200 dollars less than a Nikon, which would have been my choice if I hadn't been so cheap. I knew about backwards compatability of the Pentax, but the bottom line was price at that time. If I was a Canon or Nikon shooter now and had a bunch of lenses, I wouldn't change systems. Too much for lenses which is the meat of a camera system anyway. They're all very good cameras, and you can't go wrong with any of them...D.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:37 AM   #26

Good point.Nikon, Canon, Sony (Minolta), Fuji, all make good stuff. Pentax is generally cheaper and just as good. If I had gotten a D50or 40 or adigital Rebel I wouldhave just as much fun taking pictures and looking for more lenses! With Pentax I have a lot more optionsin the lens department, but I would still be having fun with the other cameras. As Isaid before my son really enjoys his Nikon. For me it was "hey, there's a DL for $500 with a $100 rebate!" The other brands had nothingin that price range.

Glenn
Old Jan 26, 2007, 5:14 PM   #27

Totally agree. I had a Nikon F70 with 3 lenses and I loved it.

When looking at digital I had decided on the Canon 350D. Someone at work had the 300D and his pics were very good. So I read the reviews and then I came across Steve's review pages. There I found that Pentax were still making cameras! Checked the review and looked at a few others. Then found I could get the Pentax and 2 kit lenses for less than the Cannon and 1 lens.

Looked further and found that the K-mount was still the same after all these years, handled the camera itself and got the DL2. Sorted.

I must admit I still sometimes look at the high-end Cannon's and Nikon's, but unless I get a lottery win, the Pentax gear suits my budget.

At the end of the day though, with todays cameras it is fairly easy to get decent photos whichever brand you go with.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 6:28 PM   #28

Good point Darren. You can take good pictures with a point and shoot, but lets face it the DSLR is way more fun and gives you the advantage of being able to mortgage your house to get the lenses you want!!

Glenn
Old Jan 26, 2007, 6:44 PM   #29

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Good point Darren. You can take good pictures with a point and shoot, but lets face it the DSLR is way more fun and gives you the advantage of being able to mortgage your house to get the lenses you want!!

Glenn
LOL :lol:
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:20 PM   #30

Then again even as I have always heard even with a non IS DSLR....."boy you have steady hands.....

Compositionally you are correct, but IS (especially internal ANY lens) is a HUGE help to those especially with not so steady hands.... where tech truly does aid the photographer.... certainly give those with at least a clue of how things work... also offers vastly more lattitude of exposure, and low light non flash capability,as long as a static subject.

AND without having to haul around, time to set up, or even posibbilty of a tripod.

That DOES add a lot to the FUN and enjoyment of shooting too.

Some may only use it as a crutch, but those that do learn camera holging techniques, PLUS IS can yield some amazing results... even violating 1/FL by a factor as much as 10.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote