Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 28, 2007, 9:38 PM   #31

silverstone wrote:
Quote:
Hayward wrote:
Quote:
That piddling Clark Kent K100D just test bed that went into orbit wasn't a CLUE????
Ah, Hayward. Never missing the chance to bash the K100D.
So I guess you consider Clark Kent a dispicable character (he is Superman you know???)

But they did keep it 6MP (same as original 3 yr or so old 1st gen Rebel)

They aso gave itv some real nice features but not near as robust as the K10D

Had I not already had a Rebel I probably would have jumped on the K100D

But the just 6MP, and the K10Dwas anounced at that release time.... and indeed good things do come to those that wait.

Bottom line... first DSLR, can't afford any more the K100Dis indeed a fine camera, and absolutely I would take it over the Rebel, or of bottom line Nikon, despite the higher MP count of both. The IS and other features more than make up for that.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:02 PM   #32

silverstone wrote:
Quote:
He also pulled out a 12"x20" or so print that was made from a 6 megapixel image, and told me that most people who buy 10 megapixel cameras were wasting money buying 'numbers'.
True when you are talking full frame always as shot..... but the 10MP vs 6 gives you the better part of 2x the crop lattitude without loss of detail (30% crop of 10MP is still a bit more than a 6MP image. )

And judging by my K10D, even at 10MP with tech improvemments cleaner than my old 6MP Rebel.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:42 PM   #33

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
But the just 6MP, and the K10Dwas anounced at that release time.... and indeed good things do come to those that wait.
Those who wait....and spend $400 more. Don't forget that part. :blah:
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 3:22 PM   #34

There is not that big a difference between them, if you hunt around a little, stilll about that much less than the Canon 30D, not sure about the Nikon as they were recently smart and lowered thier price some.

I have seen the K10D as low as $760 (unfortunately after I paid a bit more )

Old Jan 29, 2007, 3:31 PM   #35

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
There is not that big a difference between them, if you hunt around a little, stilll about that much less than the Canon 30D, not sure about the Nikon as they were recently smart and lowered thier price some.

I have seen the K10D as low as $760 (unfortunately after I paid a bit more )

So lucky with prices across the pond. $760 (about £400) probalbly with the kit lens and, I daresay, a rebate thrown in as well.

Over here the K10D is £600 body only - no rebates!

The K100D is £350 with the kit lens. BIG price difference.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 1:55 AM   #36

No Pentax Rebate, but yes two seller (DELL) discounts. (An Electronics/Acc discount coupon code, plus a blanket 10% discount code

I got mine for about $825, no rebates or extra discounts, elswhere about a week before that happened..

Interesting, though I haven't heavily looked for K100D, but actually this side of the pond I have seen the K10D discounted more heavily that the K100D (IE: 100D closer to its list price, other than a now expired $50 Pentax rebate, than the K10D)
Old Jan 30, 2007, 7:01 AM   #37

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
There is not that big a difference between them, if you hunt around a little
That could be. I'm going by the prices at Beach Camera (they consistantly have very competitive prices). Right now the K10Dcostsmore than twice the K100D. Currently, for the camera body only, the K10D is $917 and the K100D is $431 w/rebate. That's a difference of $486. The price of the Camera w/kit lens is $997 for the K10D and $492 w/rebatefor the K100D which is a $505 difference.

The K10Dhas better specs and a few extra features.But in my personal opinion, the differences weren't worth$490 more.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 8:31 AM   #38

I finally got my Dell ordered K10D - it took 40 days and 40 nights, but was well worth the wait! $830 after tax, and they are refunding my shipping because it was supposed to be overnight and they sent it 2nd day, so $16 back. It was $764 before taxes - an offer I couldn't refuse. I must say I am very impressed with it so far.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 8:38 AM   #39

IMO, it's unlikely that Nikon and Canon would give up in lens IS/VR. There's no reason they should--they've already spend all that money on R&D, the actual production costs aren't that high.

I would like for them to offer stabilization in the body (while continuing to offer in-lens stabilization, if you can afford those lenses). I definitely see the advantage of in-lens stabilization, especially to stabilize a viewfinder image. At beyond 300mm, I start having difficulties attaining good AF. Even at high shutter speeds my images look soft--in that case, I think that in-lens IS/VR would help tremendously. However, I don't buy Canon's explanation for why they offer only in-lens--why not both, with the option of disabling either?

Also, I disagree that pro bodies are not feature-rich--they have ridiculous features, the only things that are missing are automatic modes and a built-in flash. On a pro body, you can adjust almost anything.

I think the bottom line is really about lens availability. If you want short primes (or normal zooms), all with image stabilization for cheap, Pentax (and Sony) are good (and often the only) options. If you value long telephoto lenses with stabilization, you'll still have to go Nikon, or better yet, Canon. It seems that if you ever come across an FA 80-200 f/2.8 on Ebay, it's still going to end up costing more used than a new Nikon 70-200 VR or Canon 70-200 IS.

thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:21 AM   #40

milrodpxpx wrote:
Quote:
I finally got my Dell ordered K10D - it took 40 days and 40 nightsr.
Hopefully it wasn't raining the whole time Noah