Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:18 AM   #1

And Pentax was so SLY sneaking in the K100d to test the waters....

So anyone want put down a friendly wager....

Will Canon or Nikon give up LENS IS only and follow Pentax?? (or just stick to their gummy guns?)

As I have pointed out just turn the internal IS off on the Petax and I can with adapter put ANY lens (especially like 3rd party SIGMA) IS lens on my camera.... doesn't work the other way around now does it ?

Again likely MANY fired (heck like of Donald comb over Apprentice) how did you al let this get away from us???

That piddling Clark Kent K100D just test bed that went into orbit wasn't a CLUE????

And the 10D wasn'talways there just waiting for the econimicsto prove out???

Mr Rogers voice can we say just say "DUHHHHH?"

Yes again indeed Pentax has been around as long as both Canon and Nikon.... made some bad descisions in the end of film.... but now all C&N we have digitalall wrapped up are getting a HUGE wake up call!!!!.... and the tortise is saying HA HA you inattentive napping hares!!!!.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:41 AM   #2

Why would C and N give up the millions of dollars they make on their IS/VR lenses and put the process in the camera bodies?

They have no interest in in body SR!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:46 AM   #3

Canon in the ad has been trying to defend in-lens I S for its tech superiority. Not much they can do now as they cannot go back to in-body IS given millions of I S lens have been around - a great cash cow for Canon. It is pretty lame now that a lot of Nikon/Canon users question that.
That is a killer advantage of Pentax and to an extent Sony. Pentax is on the road - a long road though-back to the the dominant position in the 70s. Hope they keep up with pace of new bodies (say K1D or K10D version2) and new lens particularly tele lens.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:54 AM   #4

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Canon in the ad has been trying to defend in-lens I S for its tech superiority. Not much they can do now as they cannot go back to in-body IS given millions of I S lens have been around - a great cash cow for Canon. It is pretty lame now that a lot of Nikon/Canon users question that.
And yes for the MOMENT lens IS is SLIGHTLY better but $300+ per lens better? And buy the system OVER and OVER again vs ANY OLD (any Pentax lens EVER MADE) lens on it and you still have near as good IS????

They REALLY need to mull that one over.... or Pentax to rise once again all by themselves and WIN.
The ONES THAT WANT THAT lens IS edge and pay for IT OK... but just Joe Blow that wants better than a P&S and ANYTHING IS..... NOT A chance and Petax will CLEAN UP there!!! If C & N keep dozing!
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:02 AM   #5

Well for those of us who started from scratch with no existing equipment, the choice was easy. Buy a camera with IS in the body (at a reasonable price I might add) and any lens I put on it is stabilized.

I love my Pentax! :blah:
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:37 AM   #6

Yup and only had a 2 (inexpensive) lens investment in my original (used) Canon hacked to semi C-10D firmware Rebel 300D .... not a lot to loose (it was passing 40k frames) for ASTOUNDING gain.... and actually have the PENTAX version of the very same SIGMA 70-300mm.... again abilities vs cost a TOTAL no brainer.... after now almost a month the K10D still amazes me DAILY and I do use it EVERY DAY..
Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:04 AM   #7

Anything is possible, it happen in the past to!
Around 1981 when Canon first made autofocus lenses they try to build the expensive AF controler into each lens. Then Minolta made AF in body and others followed, soon so did Canon.

Cost of IS varies by lens. The very popular EF 70-200 f/2.8L for instance is 1440.74$us without IS and 2203.49$us with IS here, that makes IS in that lens to me cost 762.75$us. Almost as much as some bodies!
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:06 AM   #8

SR in Pentax works great, no question about it.

One instance when the Canon's IS is better: panning. The IS lenses have a switch that can be used to limit how IS works when panning with great results (some friends of mine use those for birds, sports etc).

Hopefully, Pentax SR will get even better with time.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:22 AM   #9

Look at the professional models from Canon and Nikon and notice that they are actually not very feature rich, because many professionals want it that way. The high end rough-and-tumble field pros in journalism and sports do not trust technology, notice the lack of built in flash. Also they see camera bodies as disposable, lenses as an investment. They will spend big bucks on these high end lenses but prefer camera bodies to be lean and fast, performance in speed and resolution with no complexity.

Pentax will take a big bite out of the semi-pro market, the part time (or even full time) "bread and butter" pro who does small weddings, local sports events and small newspaper journalism. This is the market where old K1000s were often seen, rugged and simple they servedthe purpose of providing a reliable tool for those who did not have the income to amortise the "real pro" cameras.

So... Nikon and Canon have no reason to change, they provide what pros want and they can attract the neophyte with the "look what pros do with our cameras" ad campaign.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:32 AM   #10

Also, there is a thing called "comps" or compensation for the sales people.

How many times have the sales people, without being prompted, offered Pentax as a purchase alternative, say at the Ritz or Wolf cameras? In my experience, not very often... come to think of it .... never.

I could not figure this out, as anyone who has compared cameras would easily point out the excellent feature set that K100D or K10D have to offer. Then I over heard a couple of sales persons talking about them not pushing Kodak cameras because the comps were very poor. Now I know why Pentax is never recommended, while Nikon and Canon are pushed, whether or not it fits the customers' needs.

So, as long as sales persons are there to redirect the customer to Nikon or Canon, as their comps are better, these two companies do not have much to fear from Pentax. It is like the Betamax and VHS thing. Betamax was better, but VHS what sold for less and in greater numbers.

Now, I am not a pessimist, so I think that Pentax will now not be taken for granted, and people on this forum and other Pentax forums will go a long way in informing those who chose to be informed what a great camera system Pentax has had, and now has again.

Best Regards,

-thepusher
thepusher is offline   Reply With Quote