Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 25, 2007, 3:16 PM   #11

I love the pictures - and I'm jealous. I want to know more about how you manage these shots. I assume that being in BC is a help. Not too many eagles here in Dallas, Texas, at least not in my neighborhood. But aside from that, can you offer any more info? It appears to me, from the EXIF info in the photos, that you are shooting with a 300mm lens, is that right? The EXIF info says "35mm focal length = 450mm", which adjusting for the crop factor should be a 300mm lens on a K100D. Are you sitting in a blind? Using a tripod? Do you have a backyard eagle feeder or something that causes them to come close? Planting little fish in the branches of nearby trees? Inquiring minds want to know.

Will
Polytrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 3:26 PM   #12

Thanks gadgetnut, Tom, Roy, Jeff and Will. It was a nice day for shooting. Warm and sunny and blue sky. The first shot was tough. Manual focus trying to get a bead on it through what seemed like tons of branches. Finally found a spot. The open air shots were easier..toughest part is to get the bu__ers to sit still for a minute or 2 as you sneak up on them.

Thanks for the compliments Will. I shot these with the FA*300mm f/4.5 lens with a Tamron 1.4tc on a tripod. Eagles are usually higher up (around here anyway), and if you aren't too threatening, they'll let you get fairly close. Mind you the closest I was to any of these was around 100' I'd say, and these are all 50% crops or higher. The k10d's 10mp's helps a little for cropping. No blind used. I just try to calmly walk up as close as I can and set up. Planting fish in trees...hmmm, you might be on to something here......Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 3:39 PM   #13

More great eagle pictures! I do love the last one, and can really appreciate the first one - it's very nice and the lighting was very difficult - I'm amazed at how well it came out.

What general area of B.C. were you in to get these? My BIL has invited us up this fall to a hunting camp on the Queen Charlotte's somewhere. I really want to go but we'll have to see if things will work out - it's a long drive from SoCal and we'd be driving a Wrangler. Would it be worth it to use all of a year's worth of vacation to go?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 3:47 PM   #14

Thanks mtngal. These were taken in the Brackendale and Squamish area. It's located in between Vancouver and Whistler if that helps. Just google Brackendale Eagles, and it will give you lots of info. They generally hang around from late fall to mid winter cleaning up the salmon from their fall runs. You'll see them all year round, but not in the #'s that show up during the winter. They're usually in the vicinity of the Cheakamus, Squamish and Mamquam rivers and aren't too difficult to access if you don't mind hiking a little on the river dykes and venturing onto the trails in the bush.....Don

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
More great eagle pictures! I do love the last one, and can really appreciate the first one - it's very nice and the lighting was very difficult - I'm amazed at how well it came out.

What general area of B.C. were you in to get these? My BIL has invited us up this fall to a hunting camp on the Queen Charlotte's somewhere. I really want to go but we'll have to see if things will work out - it's a long drive from SoCal and we'd be driving a Wrangler. Would it be worth it to use all of a year's worth of vacation to go?
Old Jan 25, 2007, 3:49 PM   #15

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the compliments Will. I shot these with the FA*300mm f/4.5 lens with a Tamron 1.4tc on a tripod. Eagles are usually higher up (around here anyway), and if you aren't too threatening, they'll let you get fairly close. Mind you the closest I was to any of these was around 100' I'd say, and these are all 50% crops or higher. The k10d's 10mp's helps a little for cropping. No blind used. I just try to calmly walk up as close as I can and set up. Planting fish in trees...hmmm, you might be on to something here......Don.
Thanks for the info, Don. You've got just about exactly the same gear I have - you're just using it more effectively than I am! I had a feeling that you had the Tamron 1.4x; I have that, too. We go every Christmas up into the mountains in northwest Arkansas. There's a national wildlife refuge there where, every year without fail, we see bald eagles. Sometimes they're very cooperative, as they were a few years ago when I took this shot with my Canon S3 IS:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...461&size=l

Technically focal length on that shot was 58mm (!). Not sure what that translates into in DSLR terms. I'm sure it was zoomed to the max, so probably it's roughly equivalent to the 300mm lens. This last December, with my new K100D and the Pentax 300mm lens, I wasn't so fortunate. The eagles were there, perched high in branches along a deserted river road. But every time I got out of the car and started to get my camera set up, they'd shove off. This shot shows how they teased me:

http://picasaweb.google.com/wmb.port...78037196720290

I don't think that's been cropped, so you can see that, if I'd been able to get the focus right while he was still in the tree, I might have had a half decent shot. Although really, I need to talk to them about hiding deep in those branches.

Next Christmas, I will surely be much better with my camera than I was this year (having had it only for about two weeks). With any luck, Santa will bring me a high quality 500mm lens next Christmas. And if he doesn't, then I won't return the one I'll buy for myself before Christmas just in case. :-)

Will
Polytrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:53 PM   #16

Polytrope wrote:
Quote:
I love the pictures - and I'm jealous. I want to know more about how you manage these shots. I assume that being in BC is a help. Not too many eagles here in Dallas, Texas, at least not in my neighborhood. But aside from that, can you offer any more info? It appears to me, from the EXIF info in the photos, that you are shooting with a 300mm lens, is that right? The EXIF info says "35mm focal length = 450mm", which adjusting for the crop factor should be a 300mm lens on a K100D. Are you sitting in a blind? Using a tripod? Do you have a backyard eagle feeder or something that causes them to come close? Planting little fish in the branches of nearby trees? Inquiring minds want to know.

Will
welcome aboard Will. let me introduce Will, guys and gals. watch out because he's pretty eloquent.. hehe(it's due to his high education)
and we thought we were shooting birds saturday.. need to get together again soon.. how about architecture next time?

roy
Old Jan 26, 2007, 4:14 AM   #17

All great shots Don.

The first one gets my preference.

Ian Mc
Ian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 3:06 PM   #18

Thanks Ian. #1's my favorite too.....cheers.......Don
Old Jan 26, 2007, 6:41 PM   #19

Great shots. I like the 3rd and 4th shots the best, purely because I am not keen on the shadows on the first one.

The 3rd and 4th look very gothic to me, esp the 3rd one.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:41 PM   #20

Awesome shots, Don.
Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote