Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 26, 2007, 8:23 AM   #11

kristianjones_uk wrote:
Quote:
I think I'll opt for the K100 for the time being due to the lesser learning curve.
Whether you opt for K100 or K10, they can bothbe used straight away by simply selecting the appropriate exposure mode & allowing the camera to do it's business.

The learning curve that has been referred to with respect to the finer points that each camera has - it's a bit like Adobe Photoshop, designed for professional but most of use only use about 5% of it's capability and still get good results.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:55 AM   #12

Hi Kris,

I have nothing to add to the K100 vs. K10 discussion that hasn't already been said. You will be happy with either one. Cameras don't take photographs, photographers take photographs, so don't get too hung up on it. Buy what you think suits you and have fun.

As for your lens question. I bought my K100 with the 2 lens kit. I'm not sure about GB prices, but the 2 lens kit here was C$150 (about 75GBP) more than the body with the 18-55 alone. I picked up the mine on sale for C$100 (50GBP) more than the single lens kit. It is not as convenient as the Sigma 18-200, or as long a zoom as a 100-300, but it was a great value, and a decent lens. The price of the lens bundled with the kit means I can make my money back if I want to sell it used to buy a better/longer/faster zoom later.

Good luck with your purchase.

Chris
silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 7:01 AM   #13
TDN

depends on what you're looking for...

both are great cameras, practically equal in image quality, so that shouldnt be your deciding factor.

They do have diffrent handling.

The K100D is a smaller, lightweight camera. It has a pentamirror viewfinder and different predefined programs for automatic picture taking in various situations, interesting for absolute beginners.
No anti-dust measures, no vertical grip available.

The K10D is a little bigger and heavier than the K100D. It has a pentaprism viewfinder (a little brighter than the other) and does not have the automtic shooting modes the K100D has. Instead it has some interesting advanced programs, which are more useful to anyone past beginner level.
Anti-dust measures and a vertical grip is available.

So really the choice depends on you...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:17 PM   #14

If you can affodr the couple of hundred dollar difference... I guess UK more (maybe with some searching) ABSOLUTELY the 10D!!

Not that the 100Dissn't a fine camera for CASUAL needs.... but far fewer features and only 6MP.

If I weren't moving from a orig Canon Rebel (6MP) might have jumped at the 100D.... but as a move up there was no consideration but the 10D and an upward move.

And unlike the smaller sesor cameras even the 2/3 (vs ful 35mm frames) The increase in MP is far less than the small sensor P&S (lots of noise) going to that level.

You will not be disappointed in the 10Dif you can swing it.... where as you will likely be wanting to get onhe in a year if you go for the 100D.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:32 AM   #15

Ennacac said:

"I don't think you should buy the K10D for your first DSLR since it takes a great deal more time to learn all the ways to get it to perform to its potential."

What does this mean? I've never used a K10D, but I've read lots of reviews of it, and I've used SLRs all my life. Does the K10D have special settings besides aperture, shutter, ISO and white balance that the K100D is missing? I doubt it. I feel certain there's no "Ambient Noise" or "Barometric Pressure" setting to worry on the K10D. You do the same things you do to take good pictures on the K100D and every other digital SLR around: pick the right white balance, right ISO, right aperture and shutter speed, compose your shot and focus carefully, then click the shutter at the right time. Of course, that's fiendishly difficult on the K100 - but it's no harder on the K10.

In fact, it might be easier on the K10D. If I can trust the reviews I've seen, the K10D actually has FEWER options on the mode dial - none of those canned modes ("Kitchen", "Snowsports," "Modern Art Museum," you know, those settings). That's a plus for the K10D, in my opinion, that makes it EASIER for a beginner by offering the beginner fewer pointless bewildering options. The USER setting on the K10D does look like it might take just a wee bit of attention - but it looks really clever, too, and I wish I had something like it on the K100D. Ditto weather sealing. The Raw button on the outside is also a feature of the K10 that makes things easier, not harder. Some of the other options - shooting to DNG, the anti-dust thing, and some others, don't make it harder or easier, as you can simply ignore them.

I wasn't aware until someone in one of these forums mentioned it recently that the K10D FEELS a good bit different from the K100D. The way the camera feels is certainly a very reasonable thing to investigate while you're shopping. If I were in the market and I really didn't like the way the K10D felt in my hands, well, I'd go with the K100D or something else. But otherwise, almost the only reason I can think of NOT to buy the K10D is - money. There's no other reason I can think of why the K10 should not be a beginner's first camera.

Will
Polytrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:47 AM   #16

Polytrope wrote:
Quote:
I wasn't aware until someone in one of these forums mentioned it recently that the K10D FEELS a good bit different from the K100D. The way the camera feels is certainly a very reasonable thing to investigate while you're shopping.
Good point and not sure just which post you are refering to but I can tell you this.... I have been in digital since 1997 640x480 days and 1 MP was still like 3 or 400 hundred dollars... but having film SLR's before that (and since at best Canon ORIGINAL Rebel, not the bizzarely ever (why) shrinking XT's)

Other than occasion touck of real high end DSLR's (like Canon 1D, the P K10D is maybe the first that has really given me that physical feeling again of this is a real SLR (and honestly have never held a K100D but guessing more on the Rebel level)

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote