Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 26, 2007, 6:07 PM   #11

What about the Sigma 24-105mm f/2.8-4.5, Not a 1.4, but still pretty quick at the wide end and would double as a nice walk-around... any of you guys/gals with this lens played with it in low light? It's not too bad on the wallet either, and it's autofocus. Just a thought.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:54 PM   #12

sgarthee wrote:
Quote:
WARNING - Newbie question to follow...

I see everyone loving the 50mm 1.4/1.7 etc. for shooting indoors. When I consider using a lens that is 75mm on my K10 indoors, I feel that would be too tight in a house. I would think something between 18mm and 30mm (27mmand 45mm on K10) would be more suitable. What am I missing?:?
sgarthee

My vote goes to FA28mm2.8. This lens on paper is slower than 1.4. But when it comes to sharpness and color rendition , it is quite decent even wide wide open which is what is important.

This indoor restaurant/party shot was done by a waitress for the party. I was stuck at the back of a table as shown.

The original and exif is at

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/69298961/original

I maxed out everything to avoid using flash:
Exposure Time1/25 sec, Aperturef/2.8 & ISO Equivalent800

I believe it has been discontinued and likely available in the range of $250-300

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:02 PM   #13

I am a new K10D owner too. On Tuesday, January 30, I was at Samy's Camera in Santa Barbara, CA and they had a new FA35mm F2AL in stock. I bought it for $299.95 plus CA sales tax. I did not ask if it was their last one.
LO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:02 PM   #14

I am a new K10D owner too. On Tuesday, January 30, I was at Samy's Camera in Santa Barbara, CA and they had a new FA35mm F2AL in stock. I bought it for $299.95 plus CA sales tax. I did not ask if it was their last one.
LO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:36 PM   #15

Bob - did the Samys in Santa Barbara have any used Pentax lenses for sale? I keep saying I'll visit the one in LA, but it's out of my way and I don't know if it would be worth it. On the other hand, a day trip to Santa Barbara might be more fun.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:45 AM   #16

I went out to the Samy's in LA around the 1st of the year while I was visting family. Was very impressed by the selection of both new and used Pentax glass. Yes they did have a bunch of used glass for Pentax, however most were M42 screw mount lenses and only a handful of used K mount glass... and that was after I left! I picked up a few steals and deals while I was there. The ultimate candy store for anyone with LBA. Who knows what they have now in stock... I'm sure it changes quite a bit. I think it would be well worth the trip for anyone in the area!
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 2:07 PM   #17

I have a question about the M42 screw mount. I assume you can get an adapter for it to fit my DL, but would it be worth it? There are some fast 50mm on sale on e-bay for some good prices. I don' mind the lack of AF. Anybody had any experience with them?

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 2:41 PM   #18

Sgarthee,

I've been looking into high speed lenses for my k100d, and found a selectfew that work fabulous for low light and/or action. Two lenses that I've used, lenses that have a range AND speed, are the tamron 28-75 XR Di (F2.8 throughout)and the 17-50 XR Di II (also F2.8 throughout).

They both have low dispersion glass (which means razor sharp images) and are specially constructed for use digital cameras.

The 17-50 is the newer of the two and gives you a wider angle shot.
An-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 3:15 PM   #19

Hi,

Don't waste your money on those add on lenses.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:57 AM   #20

If you're talking about the screw-on adapters that use the filter threads, I wouldn't go that route. It gives you a neat effect but poor image quality and cuts down on the amount of light that gets to the sensor.

I have a phoenix fish eye adapter .25x, and I wish I would have spent the money for something better.
An-D is offline   Reply With Quote