Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 27, 2007, 1:13 AM   #1

We have all heard of the famous Russian Fotosniper and maybe wondered how effective the principles might be. So I made a rifle stock type bracket and fitted it to my *ist DS, Tele Lentar 450mm f6.5 and Vivitar 2X teleconverter.

This is Cyril, simulating a fierce wild animal at about 25 metres! 100% crop f6.5x2, 1/180 second, "Fotosniper"

"Fotosniper" A simple aluminium bracket and an old pistol grip modified for electrical contacts. (Olympus c900 1.3 Mpixel point and shoot)
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2007, 7:30 AM   #2

I like that set-up. I always wanted the sniper set when I had a Zenit E, but the price was outside my pocket money. How easy is it to handle?

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 8:33 AM   #3

looks good. i've got a grip just like that and i may try it on my 500.

roy
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:11 PM   #4

Darren, it is really easy to use and by some fluke I seem to have the proportions right for me! It feels quite natural. The Cyril shot was taken standing with the end of the lens lightly resting against a tree.

Roy, I needed all my cunning to make a two stage switch that the trigger would operate.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:31 PM   #5

This is my setup, and I used a remote switch for Pentax that I got from China on ebay that will focus with a touch and then fire the shutter when pushed all the way down. It will even lock the shutter open for time exposure.

Cost for the switch was about $15 including shipping!

Got the stock at a garage sale many years ago, but a friend of mine just cut the same shape out of wood, but an old tripod head on it and his works just fine.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 4:10 PM   #6

tom, thanks for posting this. i knew you used one but had not seen it. that looks like a lot of weight being supported by the body. i just can't understand why pentax did not put a mount on the lens.

roy
Old Jan 27, 2007, 6:24 PM   #7

Roy,

The FA* 300 is fairly light, much lighter than my A* 300 was, so it doesn't put that much strain on the mount. The F* does have a tripod mount even though the lens is the same as the FA*.

The light weight is one reason the lens is so nice to use hand held.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:36 PM   #8

Thats a neat looking piece of equipment Tom but I doubt my workshop is ever going to produce anything as elegant as that! :-)

Yes, I made the two stage switch too, first pressure is focus, second pressure is shutter, it works a treat though the switch was not easy to make.

Old Jan 28, 2007, 2:23 AM   #9
TDN

"Wife, fetch me musket!"

lol

Interesting ideas here...I wonder if I can make something out of an old toy rifle my little brother used to play with...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote