Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 28, 2007, 11:26 PM   #21

Roy,

Thanks for sharing these almosts. If only 25% of the pictures looked as good after downloading as they do on the LCD I'd be set.

Fred
Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 5:35 AM   #22

Fred2726 wrote:
Quote:
Roy,

Thanks for sharing these almosts. If only 25% of the pictures looked as good after downloading as they do on the LCD I'd be set.

Fred
so true!!

roy
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:21 PM   #23

robar wrote:
Quote:
ron, it's blurry and the whites are blown. the only one of these i kept was the last one. why waste disk space... i know these look good to many but they don't if you really look at them. this is the prime reason i posted them. be tough on yourself and you'll get better..

roy
You are being overly hard on yourself, especially given the hard and dynamic condition (where perfect is much just LUCK often.)

Personsonally the first is the one that really intregues me. OK some blown out whites but the rest just makes me wonder what the heck were the lighting conditions.... probably was but looks like anything BUT daylight the rest clearly are.

And a real shame if you tossed the original of that one in the bit bucket

Unfortunately, many get totally hung up on the technicaly, and completely over look the aesthetic.... I would gladly pay yo something for that image file if it isn't truly in the trash yet.... again technically perfect not.... but just even as is... a wonderful moment of time and circumstance.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:31 PM   #24

Fred2726 wrote:
Quote:
Roy,

Fred
Interesting comment I have actually backed off on the in camera K10D deletes (unless last card filling) because LCD often just ROUGH appox.... in both res AND exposure values. I am often surprised at FULL res display the shot I often almost tossed looked on the piddling (though better than most) 216 KP LCD looked, even in the dark and reading glasses on.

Basically I NEVER in camera delete anything that isn't CLEARLY just awful... or running low on space.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:13 PM   #25

I never toss and files until I get home since I got my HD80 with 100GB HD. I just download a card to the HD80 (replaced by Hyperdrive Space) and format it and off I go once again. It takes two minutes to download a 2GB card and I have a second on with me to use in the mean time.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 2:05 PM   #26

i don't delete in the field.
if i can't get a decent 8x12'' print from it i see no reason to waste space. i only have 220gigs of hdd space
Old Jan 30, 2007, 2:24 PM   #27

I don't delete other than obvious bloopers in the field. At home I first delete all no-good-at-alls (blurred, oof, hopeless exposure), then all sharp, well exposed but boring pictures (the almosts).If 25% survives this it's nearly a miracle. Lastly I delete the second-bests, I will never use them for any reason anyway. This is my way of saving disc-space (and time for myfamily who are released after looking at 20 pictures instead of 250:-)).

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 6:32 PM   #28

kjell,
you're right- 25%- is a miracle.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 7:07 PM   #29

i dont get many "keepers"

they look good at the time

and even when first looking on the computer i can think its ok

but on closer inspection there are things wrong

but i dont delete any, i burn them all on to cds

you just never know when you will need an over exposed blurry image thats sloping down hill
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 8:44 PM   #30

I can relate to thinking a I got a good shoot, only to find when viewing on the comp at home most of it its shite. I guess I'm a bit of a perfectionist, because even the things others think of as good or even really good I see the flaws in. But hey, I'm just learning and perfection is a journey, not a destination I hope one day to learn the craft well enough to be satisfied with some of my stuff, in the mean time I enjoy the learning process.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote