Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 27, 2007, 6:09 PM   #1

Stopped by a pawn shop today to check out their selections of lenses. The only thing I found on the shelf was a Tokina Nikon-mount 135 f/2.8 so I asked about a price and I happened to have my DL with me just incase they has pentax stuff that I could try before I buy. The lady saw the camera and asked if I was looking for lenses for it and I said yeah. She pointed to a brown bag on one of the shelves and told me to go ask for it and look to see if there was anything I wanted in it. I did as she said and to my suprise I found a Pentax ME-Super, Pentax K1000, SMC-M 50mm f1.7, SMC-M 50mm f2.0, Sears "Auto" MC 28mm f2.8, SMC-A 35-80mm f3.5-4.5,and a Vivitar 90-210(ish, can't remember exactly). I asked how much the lenses were and one lady said they were packaged with the cameras and said I had to buy one of the bodies, so I put together the ME-Super, 50 1.7, 50 2.0, and 28 2.8 and they quoted me$100 for that. I tried talking them down, but they wouldn't budge. Then I tried getting them to throw in the Nikon-mount lens for S&G and then another girl said they could separate lenses and camera.

Anyway, I'll get to the point. Threw together the 50 1.7, 50 2.0, 28 2.8 and Nikon-mount 135 2.8 and they quoted me$40. Needless to say, I snatched that up ina heartbeat.

The glass on all four lenses is perfect, no oily apertures, no fungus/haze, very minimal dust in one lense (others perfect).

Sorry for dragging it on this long, but I was rather excited considering this was the first trip to a pawn shop looking for lenses and I think I did pretty good. Just thought I would share my experience.

-Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2007, 6:24 PM   #2

i did the rounds here a couple weeks ago and only wasted gas.
congrats!!

roy
Old Jan 27, 2007, 6:55 PM   #3

Almost all shops around here check ebay before pricing anything.

Actual camera shops are the place to get deals on Pentax gear around here since most of them are C & N snobs.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 8:15 PM   #4

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Almost all shops around here check ebay before pricing anything.

Actual camera shops are the place to get deals on Pentax gear around here since most of them are C & N snobs.

Tom
haha, you must be talking about national camera; no idea what their pentax gear is worth! sold me a 135 f3.5 M for $18, 50mm f1.7A for $30, 50mm f1.7 FA for $45, 70-210 A F4 for $80. I check their website every day now.

only problem is, they don't update it well, and when you go in and want to see some pentax stuff, thats the first thing they say - you can check our website. the problem is, half the people that enter lenses in the system don't have a clue what they need to put, so you have to call or go yourself anyways.

I got a sigma 28-105 f2.8-4 last weekend, i haven't had much opportunity to try it yet, and just put my DL up on ebay, as the K10D is finally shipped from dell (i waited 38 days for it, but $830 next day after tax was way too good of a deal!)
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 8:54 PM   #5

Quote:
just put my DL up on ebay, as the K10D is finally shipped from dell (i waited 38 days for it, but $830 next day after tax was way too good of a deal!)
Congrats on your new k10.

And Nick congrats on your lens buy......:-D

I have to go now, I'm getting an itchy trigger finger....
Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 9:50 PM   #6

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Stopped by a pawn shop today to check out their selections of lenses. The only thing I found on the shelf was a Tokina Nikon-mount 135 f/2.8 so I asked about a price and I happened to have my DL with me just incase they has pentax stuff that I could try before I buy. The lady saw the camera and asked if I was looking for lenses for it and I said yeah. She pointed to a brown bag on one of the shelves and told me to go ask for it and look to see if there was anything I wanted in it. I did as she said and to my suprise I found a Pentax ME-Super, Pentax K1000, SMC-M 50mm f1.7, SMC-M 50mm f2.0, Sears "Auto" MC 28mm f2.8, SMC-A 35-80mm f3.5-4.5,and a Vivitar 90-210(ish, can't remember exactly). I asked how much the lenses were and one lady said they were packaged with the cameras and said I had to buy one of the bodies, so I put together the ME-Super, 50 1.7, 50 2.0, and 28 2.8 and they quoted me$100 for that. I tried talking them down, but they wouldn't budge. Then I tried getting them to throw in the Nikon-mount lens for S&G and then another girl said they could separate lenses and camera.

Anyway, I'll get to the point. Threw together the 50 1.7, 50 2.0, 28 2.8 and Nikon-mount 135 2.8 and they quoted me$40. Needless to say, I snatched that up ina heartbeat.

The glass on all four lenses is perfect, no oily apertures, no fungus/haze, very minimal dust in one lense (others perfect).

Sorry for dragging it on this long, but I was rather excited considering this was the first trip to a pawn shop looking for lenses and I think I did pretty good. Just thought I would share my experience.

-Nick
Nick,

I have never had such good luck. It is not that I have not tried.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:07 PM   #7

Thanks everyone... I'm really loving the SMC-M 50mm 1.7... Also really like the FOV of the 28mm 2.8. The Nikon-mount lens and the SMC-M 50mm f/2 are on eBay already, paying for my other two lenses.

Almost forgot to let you guys know about my other recent purchase... Pentax *istDand D-BG1 from that auction site for$325 shipped
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:08 PM   #8

On Friday, on my way home stopped by a pawn shop, and saw a Takumar (Bayonet) 135mm F2.5 which robar calls paper weight:-)
I could not resist and after some discount I got it fo $27, taxes included. Got home and noticed oil on the aperture blades. When I get a chance I will need to do a cleanup on it. I tested it and it works fine on my K100D.

They also had a FA 100-300mm F4.5-5.6 in good condition for $65 with tax but I passed. Just too big of a lens.

I keep trying: maybe a Pentax star lens gets there without them knowing anything about it. Winning the lottery might be more probable thou:-)

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:14 PM   #9

i regularly do the pawn shop rounds
they seem to be carrying less and less film camera gear
i got an 80-320 pentax zoom for $80 and a few bits and pieces very cheap
i like that i can try them out in the shop
check out the photos on the computer
then go back and buy it if i want

my last purchase was a Carl Zeiss 28 - 80 wiith 1:4 macro for $10
but the aperture blades dont work
i was hoping it could be fixed but apparently not
so i can only use it at f4