Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 28, 2007, 2:31 PM   #1

Has anyone tried a mirror lens with their digital? Years ago they were popular with film. They are light and small and relatively cheap for their focal length, but have a few issues with making points of light look donut shaped. They also have a fixed f=stop, usually F-8. Any input?

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2007, 7:55 PM   #2

Glenn
attached picture is taken with a Hanimex 500mm mirror lens on a Pentax *istDS.

They have all the advantages you mentioned and this one produces acceptable (I I think ) results.

Hanimex is a budget brand and the lens is old and was bought for $60 second hand.
With the DLSR, because you can alter the ISO sensitivity readily, this can compensate for the fixed aperture to arrive at a reasonable shutter speed, for what is effectively a 750mm lens on the DS.

While that may not be as sharp as a good telephoto of comparable focal length their light weight and small size can make them convenient to pack than a larger conventional lens for those "just in case" opportunities.

Attached Images

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 7:55 PM   #3

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 8:42 PM   #4

Hi Glenn,

I bought a Tamron SP 500 f8 Mirror Adaptall II last fall after seeing some posts on another forum. It was pretty inexpensive, at least for the focal length and quality. This is one of the better ones (be careful, there are a lot of really cheap ones out there). I did a mini review at the time, and here's the link with some pics:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

After a little more use, I've found that you can many times avoid the donut bokeh issure by being more aware of your foreground and background, and the reason that chromatic aberration and purple fringing are not present even in very high contrast areas is that the lens uses reflection from curved mirrors as opposed to refraction through the lens elements to bend the light. Other than the slow speed, I think that these lenses are actually better on digital than film because you can fix the donuts in post processing.

BTW, there is actually an advantage to the constant f8 aperture, at least with the Adaptall II mirrors, and that is that you don't have to find a PK/A adapter -- which have been getting scarcer and more expensive lately. The PK adapter which is cheap and easy to find won't limit functionality since you can't change apertures. The lenses themselves are pretty commonly found on ebay, and being an Adaptall II design, you don't have to search out one with a Pentax mount.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 1:58 AM   #5

Scott and Phil,

Thanks for the information. It has been very useful and gives me a better idea what to be searching for.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote