Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 29, 2007, 3:50 PM   #11

I'm not an expert on this either, but I think mtngal hit the nail on the head when she mentioned dynamic range. Trying to shoot a black horse in a field of snow is just to much for most cameras. There have been a couple of good threads in the past couple of weeks here on HDR shooting and this may be something you want to look into.

There is some amazing workbeingproducedusing this method of shooting. The second shot of the squirril would have been an ideal canidate if he held still long enough to get your three shots. Some have been also expirmenting with shooting in raw and processing 3 images to merge into an HDR. HDR can definately push the pictures a little farther in the dark and bright areas to make them look right. This is something I hope to play more with this year- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 4:19 PM   #12

I agree that I have a lot to learn about dynamic range, metering and exposure compensation(which I dont even know how to set atm) but I took some test shots inside with good lighting using two different cameras and got poor results so Im thinking the lens might have a misaligned element or something. Im returning it for replacement and we'll see what happens. In the mean time I plan on going through the manual again and playing around with metering, and learning how to set exposure compensation. See what that yeilds as far as quality pics. The learning curse for these DSLR's is huge. Good thing I have a lot of spare time waiting on the surgeon to hack me up lol.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:31 PM   #13

Spiritbro, You didn't mention, or I missed it, whether you were using AF, CAF or MF on the shots you posted. I have the same lens and a lot of my shots with it are sharpened a little in PP. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 5:26 AM   #14

bper wrote:
Quote:
I'm not an expert on this either, but I think mtngal hit the nail on the head when she mentioned dynamic range. Trying to shoot a black horse in a field of snow is just to much for most cameras. There have been a couple of good threads in the past couple of weeks here on HDR shooting and this may be something you want to look into.
Personally, I've found HDR disappointing having tried PS CS3 beta, Photmatix & Artizen with limited success.

Keeping the horse still might be difficult for HDR even with the multiple exposure mode to achieve the range of exposures required to process HDR.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:34 PM   #15

Sorry to hear about your back. Was the car running when you took you shots? Maybe a vibration issue? Reviews say it is somewhat soft at 400mm if I remember correctly.
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:51 PM   #16

Nope I turned the car off. And while I could accept it being slightly soft at 400. THis was terribly soft and not just at 400. At 300 and 200 as well.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote