Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 29, 2007, 3:31 AM   #1

Hello:

I am new to the forum and recently got a K10D (w/kit lens - for now).

My son and I went out to the local track forthe first time with the new camera. I have more respect for theprofessional photograhersnow :G It is not as easy as one might think.

I struggled a bitwith the settings (had someexposure issues...)

These were shot in JPEG mode. I might try to shoot in RAW next time. It might allow me to save some of the ones that got away.

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed. Thanks for looking.

TankSlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2007, 4:24 AM   #2

Welcome,

These ones look fine for me, the last one could have been a bit darker, but then you would have lost the detail of the biker.

Nice work , keep 'm coming - Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 5:58 AM   #3

welcome again
these are good.
shooting in raw will not help get the one's you missed in jpg. it'll give you more control over the tonal values of the image but if the shot is blurry then you missed it.. i can provide many examples. hehe

roy
Old Jan 29, 2007, 7:43 AM   #4

Hi tankslapper,
The shots look good to my eyes. And it's good to see another green meanie out there.
Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:22 AM   #5

I see nothing wrong with these - I'm really impressed with them (I haven't tried any type of motor sports yet). Where were these taken? You've given me an idea - the $6.00 (or whatever they charge now) for a day's entry into Hungry Valley OHV State Park isn't all that much. Our poor Wrangler hasn't seen a trail in MONTHS!

I can think that you'll always have some problems with exposure, simply because of the conditions (bright sky and darker jackets). While I've become a believer of how much raw can retrieve data in what appears to be an overexposed picture (quite a bit as long as there is some data - if it is totally blown out there is no data), I think I'd try to underexpose some and see how much noise you introduce that way. Try it both ways and see which way works best. One thing I've found out is that sometimes the camera will indicate something has been blown out when there is still data for a raw converter to work with.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:21 AM   #6

Very nice set... They just opened a dirt track about 30 minutes from my house... I really need to go out there and snap some shots.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 3:03 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I know I have a lot to learn and I am looking forward to the challenge.

That last one was prettyunderexposed and I tried to brighten it up (using silkypix free version). Maybe I went a little too far....

Mtngal: That is Lake Elsinore Motocross Park (LEMP) in southern California. They charge $20.00 per bike there. The state park might be a little cheaper. Be safe out thereif you go!

- Cliff
TankSlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 3:59 PM   #8

Cliff,

I touched up the last one in CS2 a bit to make the background a bit darker and I lightened up the rider a bit for more detail.

Nice job of catching the action shots of the dirt bike.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 4:25 PM   #9

Good shots. Well timed.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:13 PM   #10

Nice!!

Just out of curiosity, were those with the IS on or off....

It does noting motion blur, and they say panning can actually make things worse.

Though despite that manual warning havent really notinced it myself....

But rarely done the panning stuff enough and never tested on or off with a similar shot.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote